Author Topic: Carburettors  (Read 2339 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettors
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 05:10:59 PM »
That looks just mighty fine in the photo. Are you happy with it?

Yea ..until I did the schoolboy error and connected it all up the wrong way round and trashed my 5l of electrolyte  :-[ :-[ :-[.

I have had limited success with yellow passivate and I notice that Gateros now  tell you to dip  in weak acid salts prior to dipping in passive, which they didn't tell you to do ten years ago. My passivates are ten years old and have chromic acid in them, which I gather is banned now for home plating. I will probably order some of the new stuff and have a go again.

I did try Gateros's copy chrome a few years back but the finish  looked a poor substitute to me .. you could instantly tell by looking at it that it wasn't proper chrome. All of my copy chrome chemicals were trashed at work, when we got flooded to 1.2 metres height  in 2013, with a mix of river/seawater...... so that killed that little experiment  :(

The guys at Caswell Europe gave me some chrome stripping salts (I used it electrolytically not just dippped) and I just bought some nickel stripper from YouPlate, so going to give that a try for stripping chrome. Plus I got the chemicals recently to flash nickel over steel and then acid copper plate (you can't directly acid copper plate over steel like you could with cyanide based copper plating... you need a thin nickel coat first.). Hoping I can prep and polish a few few parts and then get Allenchrome to chrome plate them, which vastly reduces cost and timescale. This is for some small, ultra rare parts for my '61 CB92.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:14:42 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal