Author Topic: Barrels and head painted or not?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Barrels and head painted or not?
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »
This is really a message for SteveD. Do you know if Eamon's K0 has painted head and barrels or not, as I think it was part of the same batch of UK750 imported in Jan '70 as mine. I am getting mine bead blasted  shortly but unsure if they were originally painted or not.

Cheers

AshD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:00:09 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Barrels and head painted or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
I don't know Ash.

I'll ask him.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
I would think that the engine should be painted, all of my CB750's had painted engines, CB750K0, K1, K2, F1 and of course the F2.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
crankcases, barrels, head were all painted.

Chris R.
Chris R.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »
Cheers for that Chris - your advice on here is greatly appreciated.  BTW I think UKPete now has the 'Bug'

Am I correct in assuming the valve cover is clear coated?

I know you use Simoniz 5-wheel silver  for the crankcases ( as I did on my 400/4 way back in '86) but what about the barells / head? Any recommendations?

BTW I found this on the early conrod replacement etc

http://data.sohc4.net/SB750/750_31.pdf

Interesting to note that all of the early rods were all matched to within 2.5grammes - perhaps it was to achieve the 'tumbler of water on the seat demo'

Have you ever used this stuff I mentioned in this post for rust treatment - its absolutely brilliant

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=2398.msg6240;topicseen#msg6240

cheers Ash D.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:02:43 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Hi Ash,
Engine side covers and cam covers were "clear-coated" by Honda. Curiously, some sump pans and top breather covers also seem to have been clear coated whilst others were painted same as crankcases. Also some variation of finish of oil bowl and cam tensioner housing (though the NOS ones of these I have are painted)

I do still use the Simoniz 5-wheel silver, but am not convinced it is as petrol resistant as it used to be  when it was Holts 5-wheel silver (but then again most things in this "green" world of ours are new / improved to the point of being useless!).
The engine on my sandcast was painted with the Holts  5-wheel back in 1994, along with the paintwork with
Chris R.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »
Hey Chris - I reckon everyone (including me of course) will be 'over the moon' that you have joined this site and that you are prepared to share your vast knowledge with us. I like the fact that you sprayed your sandcast yourself with 'rattle cans', I had just assumed Andrew had done it for you. I did the same with my 400/4, I remember spending 4 full nights after work,  in 1986 just spraying  on the pinstripes. I should really have been blue (pillion pegs on swinging arm) but I always wanted the F2 one so I opted for non standard, as I was not as fussy then about originality.

cheers

AshD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal