Author Topic: Clear coat for alloy hubs .. Bike painting in general  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Clear coat for alloy hubs
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 08:41:15 AM »
I have a 'solvent' based degreaser that is water washable and is excellent stuff - pink as well....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »
Someone also on here asked me what equipment I used to apply the clear coat .... It was a Devilbiss SRI Prolite mini spray gun with 1.2 fluid tip setup.

I also use a Devilbiss air-fed mask as the Mipa 2K clear contains isocyanates. I know a lot of people don't bother or use a cheapo mask but there you go.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 09:26:02 AM »
That hub certainly looks like factory new type finish Ash.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 10:17:36 AM »
That hub certainly looks like factory new type finish Ash.

Cheers ! .. I have spent the last 8 months every Wednesday prepping and painting parts for some of my bikes. Thank the Lord I am nearly at the end of it all now.

Before some smart ar$e comments  about me storing it all in a bedroom and how does the missus put up with it blah blah blah  .... This is a room in a massive warehouse, which  my mate 'Dodgy' Roger owns. He bought it cheap off a bloke who's wife had booted him out so he had created 'living quarters' in the building he owned a couple of years before he sold it.  I can't paint at home because Cathy has bad asthma, so hence I do any painting at my mates.

This is probably 1/2 of what I have done in the 8 months. The CB250K4 is my mates tank ... I did it for him  (PITFA though) 'cos he bought vinyl pinstripes for £65 from a guy in France (as did Ben Powell on here) and there were absolute sh%te  .. so muggins here painted them on. The vinyl just would not follow the bulbous tank profile properly ... even Ben's dad who trained as a time-served pro-painter agreed the vinyl stripes are sh%te.  Probably why Piki doesn't sell them for that model.

The mudguards on the bed were clear coated in Spraymax "2K in a can" Satin aerosol  (super stuff ..pricey but you get what you pay for and one can goes a long way) and the others were clear coated with the Devilbiss gun with Mipa CX4 clear coat with about 1 part in 6 Mipa matting agent, as they are mudguards off later bikes than the CB72 and Bomber 450K0,  where Honda used a glossier finish than they did in the early 1960's.
The 'Sardine' Blue/White CB250K0 tank was done all with aerosols .. RS Bikepaints base coat (fookin expensive ... should have used British Leyland  Teal Blue !!) and Spraymax 2k Gloss aerosol. White was 50/50 mix of Ford Frozen white and Ford Diamond white solvent base-coat.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:27:33 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 10:30:47 AM »
Some lovely looking goodies there Ash! That is a tremendous amount of man hours to get that parts to looking like that. Top job!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 10:31:41 AM »
Excellent work. Hate to think how much that would have cost commercially!
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2023, 02:49:15 PM »
You've got good at that Ash. You kept that secret.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2023, 05:51:19 PM »
You've got good at that Ash. You kept that secret.

My winter project is to paint a 500K0 paint set in Candy Starlight Gold. I had my Candy Green K0 paintwork done by Menno and I have a NOS Candy Custom Gold tank but would really like a Starlight gold set.
 Not altogether sure why ..obsession I suppose.

Offline Jan B

• SOHC Associate
  • Everything you can leave behind is a gain
    • View Profile
Re: Clear coat for alloy hubs .. Bike painting in general
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2023, 07:35:35 PM »
As a complete novice to painting with a spray gun i had a very promising result on some test pieces with the method and materials you described.

- need a bigger compressor (size does matter here)
- need to disassemble front and rear hub because already with spokes and rims

It will be more expensive
It will  be more laborious

Thank you very much for posting!!!! ;)
CB500K1
CB750K2 [project]
BMW F800GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal