Author Topic: The rebirth of Lazarus  (Read 22044 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: The rebirth of Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
that would be great Bryan, let me know when you dig it out.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »
I started to de rust the swing arm, and found a hole underneath near the torque arm mount, i think it can be welded and will be out of sight so ok so far but tips on getting the bushes out would be welcome.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
Pivot bushes or shock bushes.
Pivot bushes fit hacksaw blade through the hole and cut till bush collapses, i have ocassionally had to cut 2 opposite sides of bush

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 10:54:16 PM »
Yes its the pivot bushes, the shocker ones came out using two sockets and the vice.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »
Poor Poor Lazarus, he has been horribly mistreated in the past and more things come to light as i strip him down further. As expected the pistons were seized up but also the alternator part that screws to the interior of the outer casing was not attached at all so further jamming everything together. i now have all the crankcase bolts out but does not want to come loose, i have remembered the hidden bolt inside the sump area but no dice. advice welcomed please.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
Most likely the dowels are welded into the cases, you could try a little heat in those areas, whilst you hit the cases with a dead blow hammer.

I'd just buy a second hand swinging arm Mick, I'd never trust welding in that area unless the metal was brand new, the problem is you cannot see the inside of the arm which could be rusting through.

I have loads of spares for the 500 Mick, let me know if you need anything and if I have you can either have it FOC (just postage) or for a small fee if it's rare.

I have at least 2 sets of crankcases, I was going to throw them soon as the shed is coming down early next year and I'll be binning a ton of stuff, most rusty etc so probably no good but the scrapman was very interested and offered to clean the shed out for me. I threw a stack of A/F spanners/sockets out, they just get in my way.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 09:50:48 AM »
cheers Ken, i would be interested in a pair of crankcases, and i have considered getting another swingarm. I am at a crossroads with this restoration,as a lot of parts will have to be replaced including the crankcases so it will not be a correct numbers bike when done. Do i still spend loads of money and get it to original or rebuild to a slightly non standard spec which would be cheaper to do, much like my original 500 in the seventies.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:54 AM »
The engine is now stripped down and i can make an assessment of the work needed. The crank and shells seem to be in very good condition, but the gearbox has some damage with two of the gears that the selector forks fit into having chips out of them where the forks fit. at first glance the forks themselves seem ok, will check closely later. The cylinder head looks ok and the bores are rusty and it was already .5mm oversize. The main issue is the crankcase has been damaged on the front engine mount and i don't know if it will be repairable or not or what it would look like after repair. I will put a pic up to get the opinion of any welding experts out there.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »
pic of crankcase damage

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2021, 10:40:27 AM »
Blimey Mick that's one rough starting point, you must be up for a challenge. Hope it all goes well for you mate (although from the last pics it's clearly not). Will be keeping an eye on this one.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
Thats fairly common damage when the bolts corrode, as its not the very early "square" crankcase notworth saving.
If Ken cant sort you a set i should have some somewhere

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »
I'll see how my spare cases look Mick, might be a day or so as it's raining hard here and the shed has not much of a roof left.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 07:40:08 PM »
well its been a while since my last post on Lazarus and not much progress with rebuild, however i am sorting parts out ready when i have a bit of time. Oddjob has sorted a pair of crankcases for me and helped with advice on shells, and i have new primary and cam chains. Will be a big order going to mr Silver soon including shells and gaskets etc but its time that's short at the moment with garden projects for my partner a priority. I did manage to buy a really good original seat today, and a pair of original mudguards and a few other bits so getting there slowly!

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 08:29:00 PM »
Wow brave man, and fair play to you!
I'm facing a top end strip down on my 750 after a small disaster cooking my cam... this gives me momentum to get it sorted

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2022, 08:29:53 PM »
Ps I've a 750 oil tank in good condition if its compatible...

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal