Author Topic: CB400f-Servicing and General repairs + Wheel removal. Lifts and stands ??  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB400f-Servicing and General repairs + Wheel removal. Lifts and stands ??
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi Guys,

You guessed it - my good lady said "what would you like for Christmas". ;D ;D ;D

Since I am only back into biking for the past 3 yrs, I haven't invested into any special kit for balancing/lifting the bike to do work.
I was trying to get the benefit of your experience on what works well for lifting/suspending the 400f to do:

1. Work with the bike suspended about 1 foot from the ground with both wheels free, using a central lift from the sump and tubular frame area. This would be my preferred option if there is a suitable piece of kit.

My experience while improvising with a trolley jack is that the centre of gravity is well forward, and jacking there results in lifting the rear wheel, rather than the front, with a tendency for the bike to tip forwards. Blocks are needed to clear the exhaust pipes near the frame.  Would  straps onto a lift platform achieve a satisfactory balance ?

2. And if using pit type stands, would the removal of the front wheel  present problems due to the fork cap and spindle design.?

What works well for you on your 400f. ;) :)

Appreciate your experience on this type of kit.

Thanks

Dennis

If you buy a hydraulic bench ensure the deck is wide enough many are on the narrow side and will not allow you to wheel a bike on and just put the side stand down.

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2021, 07:10:45 PM »
Dennis, some pics of exhaust side and "custom " wedge ! Note exhaust is reverse cone mega which is not standard.

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for the extra details showing the supports.

Cheers ;D

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

You guessed it - my good lady said "what would you like for Christmas". ;D ;D ;D

Since I am only back into biking for the past 3 yrs, I haven't invested into any special kit for balancing/lifting the bike to do work.
I was trying to get the benefit of your experience on what works well for lifting/suspending the 400f to do:

1. Work with the bike suspended about 1 foot from the ground with both wheels free, using a central lift from the sump and tubular frame area. This would be my preferred option if there is a suitable piece of kit.

My experience while improvising with a trolley jack is that the centre of gravity is well forward, and jacking there results in lifting the rear wheel, rather than the front, with a tendency for the bike to tip forwards. Blocks are needed to clear the exhaust pipes near the frame.  Would  straps onto a lift platform achieve a satisfactory balance ?

2. And if using pit type stands, would the removal of the front wheel  present problems due to the fork cap and spindle design.?

Thanks

Dennis

If you buy a hydraulic bench ensure the deck is wide enough many are on the narrow side and will not allow you to wheel a bike on and just put the side stand down.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience Moorey. I am erring towards centre lift models with no wheeling on.

Cheers ;D

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 06:33:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks for the benefit of your experience Moorey. I am erring towards centre lift models with no wheeling on.

Cheers ;D

Dennis

Not familiar with centre lift models - do they bolt to the floor for stabilty of do they have a big platform?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2021, 08:09:12 AM »
Hi Ted,
The centre lift models don't have to be bolted to the floor at all, and can be stored to one side of any garage/working area once assembled without losing too much space, when not in use. I'm particularly pleased with it as you can freely work on the wheels without extra support and raise and lower to your exact needs.
The only modification is creating the "wedge" for the centre platen as the platen is flat and 400/4 sump isn't as you know. once lifted the support is completed by the clamps over the footrest, in my pics I've put on some ratty old ones , as I had rear sets fitted and it wouldn't work with them at all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal