Author Topic: The future of bikes?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
The future of bikes?
« on: November 13, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
I genuinely reckon (acceptably safe) fully automated cars will be with us within a decade, and shortly after that manually operated cars withdrawn due highway incompatibility. And, in my case, I don’t think I’m bothered as frankly getting from A-B these days, in a car & at certain times, can be anything but enjoyable - I’d rather be feet up with a magazine & a beer.
But then there’s those off-peak times + sunshine + a nice bike which makes everything right with the world….. gawd I’m loving’ this retirement malarkey..
The question is, if / when the highways do become 100% automated, is there a future for motorbikes or any vehicular everyday pleasure?
Personally I can’t see one - thoughts folks?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: The future of bikes?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
Maybe there will be manual motorways and automated motorways. My worry is will London's  streets and roads be about 95% LTN in the near future? At this rate the future of the bike here will be the pedal ones or the E-scooter thingy :(  Alas, to say more would be getting political.  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »
Fully automated cars are in my view  still many decades away - there is a mismatch between what car manufacturers can make that actually work in real life on the various types of roads. Some roads have kerbs some grass verges etc it will take a lot of money to change the existing infrastructures to enable full automation be it road sensors or whatever.
Here in the UK Trains still have a driver as do Trams.

I think the first move to fully automated vehicles will be Goods Vehicles that will run on specially built roads or lanes on Motorways to & from distribution hubs for onward local transfer.

How bikes will fit into the new age is not my worry I'm pretty much in my last decade of meaningful life anyways - not being negative - just pragmatic in my old age.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
I tend to agree on us being legislated off the road - next year speed limit alerts will be built into all new cars and this will be the first step before automatic speed liiters are built in (legislation will be gradually drip fed to us so the public gradually accept it). So vehicles that are piloted by humans making their own decisions will be considered a risk and liability to the insurance companies.
Enjoy the freedom of the road over the next decade while while your health and bureacrats lets you! And get rid of your bikes before everyone catches on and the arse falls out of the market!
Just my opinion
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
Hopefully ICE car & Bike racing will live on - it'll be a new version of the London to Brighton Vetran Car rally!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 08:46:26 PM »
Can anyone please explain to me the point of driverless cars?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 08:55:44 PM »
The point is, most crashes are caused by bad driving.  Driving too close to the car in front, inappropriate use of speed for the conditions, driving while texting etc.
A fully automated car will drive a lot better than most of the numpties on the roads
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 08:57:24 PM »
At the ripe old age of 60, I'm not going to even think about it and certainly not fret about it. It won't happen until long after I'm pushing up the daisies.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05:12 PM »
You youngsters will be the death of me

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »
You youngsters will be the death of me
😂😂😂😂😂
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »
I genuinely reckon (acceptably safe) fully automated cars will be with us within a decade, and shortly after that manually operated cars withdrawn due highway incompatibility. And, in my case, I don’t think I’m bothered as frankly getting from A-B these days, in a car & at certain times, can be anything but enjoyable - I’d rather be feet up with a magazine & a beer.
But then there’s those off-peak times + sunshine + a nice bike which makes everything right with the world….. gawd I’m loving’ this retirement malarkey..
The question is, if / when the highways do become 100% automated, is there a future for motorbikes or any vehicular everyday pleasure?
Personally I can’t see one - thoughts folks?

Of course there is, bikes are the future. Have you never seen Mad Max. 

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 10:55:17 PM »
Ha!

This deep thinking came about because I’m selling my beautiful 400F, fundamentally not wanting to let it go, but whilst realising I don’t ride it enough. A mate suggested I simply vacuum bag it, and present it to my grandson in 17 yrs as his 18th present. Great idea I though, until realising I may as well bag him up a bloody White elephant and throw in a Betamax video to boot.

I reckon we’ve had the best times… can’t imagine growing up now will be a barrel of laughs.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:44 PM »
No need to threat in OZ they will still be burning diesel and coal long after India has gone carbon neutral.😁

I'm sure you lot have seen the best times on the roads. But remember this it's your fault speed limits were brought in so you were the beginning of the end.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 01:01:04 AM »

I think the first move to fully automated vehicles will be Goods Vehicles that will run on specially built roads or lanes on Motorways to & from distribution hubs for onward local transfer.
We've had that of sorts since the early 1990s. When I was crew on a container ship the Felixstowe and Rotterdam docks both had a system of container carriers that one tapped a code into and it ferried the container to the required destination, somewhat slow but no driver or human meddling needed. Stand in front of it and it stopped for you. Initial problems occurred in Felixstowe with rabbits interfering with the communications........ so maybe bunnies will keep us out of trouble a while!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
Had to do a CPC course on Smart Motorways for my HGV licence, the presenter was a moron, kept saying how good they were, how they improve safety etc etc etc.

We got onto the subject of automated vehicles but he couldn’t answer on how they see lane markings in thick snow or dense fog, for that matter how the camera watchers for the smart motorways could see anyone broke down in the same weather conditions.

Wait until there are multiple deaths and by multiple I mean over 10 caused by a smart motorway and let’s see how fast they drop the idea after being sued to hell and back.

Totally agree.  👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal