Author Topic: The future of bikes?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: The future of bikes?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
Wrt Smart Motorways it bloody appalls me this ‘all lanes running’ crap. BUT, at the end of the day money is key, and some oik has worked out that xx deaths pa are cheaper than xxx MIL man hrs lost revenue to the UK PLC with hard shoulders. Votes & politics may swing it all back to common sense hopefully.

Back on the topic of automation the glitches will be ironed out - they always are; it’s just a matter of time. My working life was aviation; I started out on Shorts 360s hand flying those aerial milk floats about the Irish Sea 35 yrs ago, and recently retired off the B787 - the bloody change / reliability / accuracy in automation in that time has been incredible. Automatics have got so depressingly good that my mate on Cargo B744s (Asian airline) tells me that autoland is his company’s only approved option when carrying Race horses….. read what you will into that.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: The future of bikes?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
Following news-feeds there intentions to embed "motorcycle scenarios" into the assistance systems of (new) cars...
There EuroNCAP crash-tests (hardly mentioned as sales merit though...) but the anti collision brake systems don't seem to be programmed to be on the lookout for motorcycles (like the typical "car makes a turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle" issue...)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And some motorcycle MFG's tinker with front radar systems (cruise control, brake assist) as well as stabilizing ESP... making bikes way too complicated IMO...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal