Author Topic: 500 Kick start assembly.  (Read 787 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 500 Kick start assembly.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 09:06:13 PM »
Always worth asking for a second opinion Ted, especially if you're unsure of how it goes. Consult a parts book regularly in order to get the assembly correct.

Glad to see it's now fitted and more importantly it's fitted right, although you can do the kickstart with the engine assembled and even in place it's not anywhere near as easy as doing it with the cases apart.

Been well over 40 years since I've had to do one of these but as soon as I saw it I thought it didn't look right with the gears engaged, the kickstart engages the gears so it struck me straight away.

Did this last night at a bike meet, spotted a CB250NB Super Dream and walked over to have a chat with the owner, who to his credit said he didn't know the first thing about them, I hadn't worked on one for around 35-40 years but it all just came flooding back, tappet clearances 4 and 6, how to adjust the camchain and more importantly the balance shaft, I spotted quite a few faults with it and told him what they were and how to fix them, listened to the engine and told him what needed adjusting etc. He wanted me to service it for him but he lived too far away for me to want to do that, although if he's there next week I may change my mind, loved working on the 250N and I wouldn't mind having another go to see if I can get it sewing machine quiet.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 09:53:39 PM »
Ken, did i tell you of the new 250N i had with oil problems on pdi?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 11:21:31 PM »
No, can't say I remember it if you did.

We had a CBX550 where the gearbox retaining pin was missed at the factory and the countershaft came out of the engine at speed.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 12:15:42 AM »
On pdi all was perfect till i stood the bike up and oil light came on, honda said change pressure relief but this was later model vertical inside lower case so engine out, still same, fitted earlier oil pump gasket still same.
Rep turned up sais remove engine i will come back tomorrow, stay there i said 30 mins it was on bench. Spent a couple hours checking things then on backfilling gallery with oil noticed seep at oil pump, with pump off the gallery drilling was egg shaped at pump face, did you see that he said, yep from me thought it was to increase area for pump to suck, nope said he should be round, cases must have been moved as drill/endmill comming out.
New top case, then order main shells and rebuild, by this time buyer said stuff it and bought something else so Honda paid 3 stripdown warrantee claims plus parts and extra big discount to Meads as it was now a used bike with restamped cases on showroom floor.
Honda didnt often get it wrong but if they did it was frequently big!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »
Good shout about replacing the two circlips Ken, the 12 mm new one was so much tighter fitting than the old one - did the 18 mm one as well.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal