Author Topic: 550 F2 started!  (Read 67728 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 550 F2 started!
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2022, 11:37:13 AM »
I wondered tbh, surely the inertia of the motor would aid in th eselection through the mesh while the motor is running?
I went out at 3 this morning to strip the cases as it was niggling me so much it woke me up!

Stripped back to bear cases, reassembled and still the same so I'm leaving it and going to build the rest of it up complete. watching loads on the net it appears that others have a much free-er spinning assembly than I do and wondered if it was something to do with the assembly lube being really thick and making everthing drag somewhat? I've never used it before and tbh might not bother again as I really dont like it. Think I'l stick with engine oil next time.

I only used assembly lube on white metal bearings & the camshaft - elsewhere I used oil.
TBH it never crossed my mind to use assembly lube on gearbox parts - I can see that might explain your issue.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 08, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »
Plus you must wash out any new bearings you fit as Honda fill them with a protective coating of grease which over the years goes harder and harder. My new countershaft bearing only just rotates it's so stiff. Wash with petrol or similar.

I only ever used engine oil on the gearbox when assembling, it gets plenty as soon as the engine starts, it doesn't rely on the oil pump for lubrication. I tended to use STP on the crank bearings and the camshaft surfaces back then. It was like golden treacle and did a fine job of protecting the surfaces until the oil got there. You just don't see STP anymore or Slick50.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 08, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »
Ooooh slick 50, i remember lister running an engine for about 30 mins with no oil after using that and no damage on stripdown

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2022, 03:43:45 PM »
Just thought Roo, the fork sliders will not look right when fitted. Lets see how clever you are, why?
Because the glare from the polishing will have already damaged my retina’s and I won’t be able to focus, what?

Don’t tell me, there’s two lefts and you hadn’t noticed until now?….. go on
I’ve not been out there and kind of blanked bikes out this week, it’s been such a shocker I’ve not dared go in there

My Honda bearings were the same, they were all NOS and all the same hardly moved at all ex pet u set duress, washed them in petrol and left them percolating in a dish of lube for a day or so before I fitted them and they came out perfect. Re assembly gunk, I used some stuff recommended to me by the husband of a pal of mine, she drag races and atone point was UK fastest lady pr similar, on the funny bikes. He builds her motors and lashes everything in it and I appreciate her motor is stressed to buggery but any helps good help and all that. Perhaps not so in this environment. It really is proper sticky doings!

I know the box gets lashed with oil from the off but thought a) wouldn’t hurt bobbing a bit in, b) didn’t know when the engine would get any oil as might not be rigged up until I get back from Yeee-haaaw.  and c) It’s like green treacle,
 I mean it’s GREEN!

Well, with a poke of reassurance, I will continue blindly on and attempt to get the pots on and slide the barrels on.

I hasten to add, fitting the second shaft once the cases have gone together by threading it through, is far easier than expected.
Nice one Ken, et all for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 08, 2022, 06:02:48 PM »
et Al.  I love a bit of Latin.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »
No Roo, the end caps that hold the spindle will still be silver like the old finish on the sliders.

That would look odd.

Luckily I thought about it and polished 2 end caps today.

Just doing a few bits on the slider, areas the mop won't reach. Coming along nicely.

I'll need to dig the other slider out and make sure I did the final touches to that or they'll look odd.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2022, 07:56:08 PM »
Doh, of course.
They're going to be epic Ken, and you said they werent good enough for yours!!! Cant bloody wait to see your creation. That is if you stop spending all your time doing things for other folk, you might get a chance to do some of your own mate. Bless yer  :D ;) :)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2022, 09:00:00 PM »

Finished.

Done both the slider and the 2 fork caps, just need to check the other slider now. That's hiding in the loft.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2022, 10:54:11 PM »
speachless mate, thankyou. :)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 09, 2022, 12:36:55 PM »
The arrows are still on them, so you know the orientation. Mine have been buffed off as if you ever need to know you can just put them on a flat surface, press down and the rear will always rise up as it's not as deep as the front.

Pic not a great one TBH, took it indoors as it was dark by the time I'd finished. They look much better in natural light.

I've got some stainless studs, washers and nuts for mine along with a stainless drain bolt and of course those stainless seal circlips. New dust seals as well and newly hard chromed fork stanchions. Brand new stainless top nuts as well. Should look pretty good I reckon.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2022, 12:09:14 AM »
Th stantions I have are rechromed , Ive a new set of internals coming and I have seals, those clips you sent, new exterior bolts, copper washers, gators, seals, studs all OEM and stainless drain bolts, the lot. I even have a new pair of the plastic clips that live on the internals, all in the bags ready to go, with your super effort on the polishing, It WILL be a net set going on 'Mejima' when shes done.

When I get to yours when they coem, I'll strip Simons and build up the new set from your bottoms, hit stansions and new gubbins Ive aquired. As the 'six toed bog hoppers' say down 'ere...........'Proper Job' :D

Nearly forgot, we have those bling top bolts to fit too...............ooo, shiney al the way to the top Ken.....nice ;D 8)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2022, 02:36:02 AM »
I’d forgotten about the air and preload caps Roo.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 10, 2022, 06:27:07 PM »
Ha haaa, I must have moved the box about 20 times before I slung them in a parts bin with the rest of the 550stuff and like you, forgot I had them until replying last night ;D
More bling, get in ;D ;D ;D

These forks are really going to be a bit of a cherry on the front end mate, really chuffed. Cheers.

Although I have taken on board everything that everone has said re the gearbox and the assembly, becausei  had the shaft apart changing bearings and the like, that and getting that gear back to front on the output shaft upon assembly, i think thats what's put all the questions and gremlins in my  head on poor selection issues.

This morning I had to bob up to Bryans to pick up that 500 to drop off to Ted later on so I took the motor up with me just to let him have a fiddle and give an appraisal..........For peace of mind and a bit of sanity in all honesty.

Aaaaanyhoo, Bryan gave the poor old girl the thumbs up so I'm hoping to get out and continue the saga tonight and get a bit more done before I leave later this week. Cheers everyone for all the suggestions and humour, all gratefully received. Thanks for the fiddle Bryan, bet you dont hear that too often? ;) :D

Que Phil:................

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 10, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »
Excellent progress !! And with Bryan's seal of approval :) what more could you want

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2022, 12:17:53 PM »
Deffer's ;D

Just had one of those brain afrts/gremlins that wouldnt go so it was a fortuitous visit and thought I might kill two birds with one stone.

Gremlins erradicated and I even managed to get the rings on the pots last night as a victory dance so I'm going to get the barrels and head on today if I get an elongated spell in the shed of dreams. I know there's a blues session on the radio this arvo so that sounds like a plan.

More later..... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal