Author Topic: What is correct cable route on 400/4 clutch cable ?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is correct cable route on 400/4 clutch cable ?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
I've got the chrome wire guide plus the so called insulated ring on top of the cambox to stop any physical contact 'twixt cable and head.  Cable still needs replacing approx every two years. I think it's a case of "They all do that sir".  Not ultra expensive to replace, just disconnect both ends, tie the new cable to the old one and heave!  First use of a new cable is like having a new bike!

Do you think what I have experienced could be the cause of premature failure. ??

Dennis

Yes Dennis, I think it's the price we pay for having everything all tucked away, out of sight, neat and tidy. Many years ago I owned a CB750 K2, and the clutch cable was routed down one of the front down tubes, tucked in nicely between Nos. 3 & 4 Header pipes, under the points cover, and entered the clutch housing next to the lower frame tube.  For relaxation these days, I am playing with a 1966 CL160, nice long sweeps on cables, all visible, and out of harms way. The instruction book even tells you that you can oil these cables, how quaint!!!  Just to finish off my rant, the ONLY piece of plastic on this machine is the rear light lens. Such is progress eh?

The natural position now for my cable without it going through the loop is just about 1" to the right and 1/2" higher than the loop, still beneath the tank, well clear of the cambox and in free air, so much cooler.

Dennis
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 07:27:07 AM »
Dennis is right if the cable is not behind the guide the natural routing is such that the missing guide is not needed as the cable is nowhere near the engine casings.

I've looked at the idea of a bracket (that I do not have) on the top breather Ken it's definitely an option as well.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
Be careful of what material you use to make the bracket.  Heat will be conducted from the mounting on the engine, and the cable will very likely be in contact with the bracket. I think whichever option you choose the cable is routed through an area of high temperature. New cables are not mega expensive, and do not take very long to replace, probably quicker than changing the oil and filter, and we do that every 1,000 miles approx without a thought. Plus as I said earlier, when you use the clutch for the first time with a new cable it recreates that ancient feeling of "Oh God, that feels good!"

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »
If you look closely at my photos, you can see the OEM clip and how it hold the clutch cable in its natural route.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »
Be careful of what material you use to make the bracket.  Heat will be conducted from the mounting on the engine, and the cable will very likely be in contact with the bracket. I think whichever option you choose the cable is routed through an area of high temperature. New cables are not mega expensive, and do not take very long to replace, probably quicker than changing the oil and filter, and we do that every 1,000 miles approx without a thought. Plus as I said earlier, when you use the clutch for the first time with a new cable it recreates that ancient feeling of "Oh God, that feels good!"

Mmm point taken - my brain is working overtime on the idea of a simple silicone loop for going around the cable - a bit like those silicone cooking moulds you use for containing  a fried egg.
It's something I need to look at with the petrol tank in place - hopefully I can do something that will not be too visible - an original bracket might be worth hunting down as you can still buy the ring that fits inside. Then again plenty of areas not on the engine to fit a bracket to - off the existing cable guide clip, horn, even the coil mounts.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »
Nice cable route photo - it does run close to the engine in a few places - then of course the cable has to cope with operational movement from the lever & steering -  thanks Julie.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »
All the parts books seem to show the clutch cable bracket & heat insulating ring as items 216 & 217 but the bracket is described as a brake cable part?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »
All the parts books seem to show the clutch cable bracket & heat insulating ring as items 216 & 217 but the bracket is described as a brake cable part?

Even Honda make mistakes 😳
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 05:24:28 PM »
Hi Ted,  Other models in the SOHC range used a guide for the clutch cable, possibly the 750/4. I have'nt seen a guide for the 400F for sale for quite some time so although others might not be the same shape they would do the job.
                   Graham
Graham

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
Hi Ted,  Other models in the SOHC range used a guide for the clutch cable, possibly the 750/4. I have'nt seen a guide for the 400F for sale for quite some time so although others might not be the same shape they would do the job.
                   Graham

Do you have a part number for the 750/4 so I can search for it?

Offline Honsa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 01:24:36 PM »
McCabe-Thiele (Ted), Hi, i've sent you a PM.
Graham

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal