Author Topic: Cross drilled discs  (Read 1719 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Cross drilled discs
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 08:11:10 PM »
Hi Ted

Thanks for the comment but yes for me it’s a bit of bling but I was told once that one of the reason for holes and slots is two fold and why even hi performance road cars have them

1 it prevent pad glazing at high temps

2 also as the pad rubs and heats up to high temperature the pad material produces a hot layer of vapour that sits between th disc and pad surface and hole and slots allow this gas to escape so you have better pad contact

But you are right for me it’s bling as with the twin disc front and to now in progress rear disc I think the bike braking is much improved

Also now I’ve got the Dresa rear swinger fitted and once the brakes are sorted, time to fettle the suspension a bit as I just love  to improve things from standard

Maybe father Xmas will drop down the chimney I nice pair of JSS piggyback shocks and a race tec front end kit with springs and emulators and also a nice set of adjustable spring preload units

I guess that the engineeer in me

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:35:40 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cross drilled discs
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »
Good luck with the slipped disc op. Make sure you drill the steel disc later, not the boney ones.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:13:55 PM »
Good luck with the slipped disc op. Make sure you drill the steel disc later, not the boney ones.
Thanks buddy

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Loving the Solid Works shots mate, that looks great. In retrospect i did too many rows on Chewys but its all alearning curve and more info has come to light since I did them. In fact, just now!! ;D
I hadnt even considered the following : "with a second set of three that are pitched so the total pad area other than the outside and inside edges are covered and holes are only 6mm with plenty of space between holes to insure  disc integrity". Like I say I copied a photo but, It'll be better next time.

Yours will look brilliant if you end up doing them like that. I've managed to get everything I need for the twin disc set up now so I'll be having a good read in the next couple of weeks and cast an eye. I'm a bit knackered until I get the pipes back from being 'Middle Class' Ceracote'd and get my air box from the states, it's en route so looking forward to a box of 'shiny' coming.

Soon as they're on I can get it in the hall under the stairs for the winter and get the 550 on the ramp.

I feel for you mate re your back, that sounds a right arse hat of a scenario to be in. Bad backs are utter misery, I feel for you mate. At least you're going straight in and getting it sorted, best way bud but thats going to knacker you for bit i shouldn't wonder?  Does this mean more cottage printing while you're malingering until Christmas? ;) ;D

Stiff upper lip mate and go steady. Keep me posted on disc designs etc, they look spot on at the min, just the right amount of cool with function as well as form. They'll look wicked on spoked rims mate. Spot on.

Best of luck with it all Al  and stay sharpe.
Bestest
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 08:34:41 PM »
Cheers buddy

If you need any info feel free to just ask a I will see if I can help in any way

Now hopefully found a CNC guy that does not seem too expensive and he is like my printing business (vat free) so I am looking forward to seeing the parts for real

Trouble is my position at work as a principle manufacture engineer means my site responsibilities are huge so it don’t leave me much “Homer” time for this type of project even though I have access to a toolroom so sometimes it’s just easier to bite the bullet and get made plus it supporting a local lad who is just starting out as a business and pay for it with my
3d printer business profit

Also as a plus side all he needs is my model file so no engineer drawing

Catch up soon

Best wishes Al

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 08:42:38 PM »
Just read the bit about your slipped disc Allan (I'm told the disc does not slip as such - it's a complex  condition with a simple name for none medical folk)- Jesus that's not good news is it - are you having the rod operation with fusing two vertibrae or is it something a bit easier - either way all the best with the operation.

You will have to put on hold the engine switch I guess until well into the new year - take care Buddy were only born with the one skeleton look after yours. Cheers Ted
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 08:55:56 PM »
Hi Ted

It’s not too bad

A disc has moved and is compressing my spinal cord so I have lost all sensation in my R/H leg and some movement too

The op is call lumber decompression where they are going to cut away the part of the disc that is compressing the spinal cord to release the pressure

It just hurt like hell unless you keep taking the smarties and have been working / living with it for the last two plus weeks due to work commitments but now going to work from home as support remote till I am fit enough to return

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
Back in the early '80s I converted my CB550F1 commuter bike to twin discs. I made up a template subdividing the swept area & then, using my skills from my school days doing technical drawing I drew the pattern that I chose to use. I then centre punched through the template & on to the swept area. The results are as seen

Having drilled my own discs it was not at all difficult & I reused the same template on other friends CB500 & 550 bikes. I have also done my brother's GS1000S discs & a friend's CBX1000ZA & those on my CB750F2, using the same method.

Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »
The stainless used for discs is generally very tough, I've never seen failure in one that's not been worn to severe excess whether drilled, slotted, skimmed or anything else. It appears that in the scenario given of global collapse when only cockroaches are projected to still exist,  then they'd probably be sheltered under old Honda discs  :D

Another application, downhill mountain bikes, use a very lightweight structure for demanding use

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

225mm diameter, floating and mounted on aluminium centre.

Using this type of caliper,  six titanium piston, milled from billet single structure

Similar developments in motorcycle

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
Dp you really need that on a 45 year old, 400cc, vintage motorcycle, which I assume is going to be used on a public road? If it's just for looks and an engineering exercise, I wish you well.  If your riding/driving needs these types of brakes????

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »
Dp you really need that on a 45 year old, 400cc, vintage motorcycle, which I assume is going to be used on a public road? If it's just for looks and an engineering exercise, I wish you well.  If your riding/driving needs these types of brakes????

It was more a matetials and design concept contribution in which outlying elements of the same subject may give some insight to the OP.
No suggestion that those should be fitted.

You did reslise the the first two photos are bicycle components, no scale reference may have confused the issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal