Author Topic: Gear shift pivot play fix?  (Read 3154 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Gear shift pivot play fix?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »
Ah I see here is a picture it looks sort of peened / rivetted over?

.gear lever ball joint by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
Ah not taken it off yet I'll post when it's off!

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 06:51:09 PM »
Ted,  I'll fish my old change assembly out  and bob a piccie up on here. If any bits are betterer than the bits you have its yours mate, If it saves an unexpected faff, it might help you out buddy ;) :)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 06:55:03 PM »
I'm wondering Ted why Honda made the gear lever curved, is it so it avoids hitting anything?

I think it was simply to  make a mundane looking, vital part have some form of artistic presence as well Ken. It's similar to thee swoop of the headers etc.....I'd like to think anyway.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
Ted,  I'll fish my old change assembly out  and bob a piccie up on here. If any bits are betterer than the bits you have its yours mate, If it saves an unexpected faff, it might help you out buddy ;) :)

Hi Roo,

I've PM'd you - Ted

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 11:25:27 PM »
I'm wondering Ted why Honda made the gear lever curved, is it so it avoids hitting anything?

I think it was simply to  make a mundane looking, vital part have some form of artistic presence as well Ken. It's similar to thee swoop of the headers etc.....I'd like to think anyway.

It may be as a small guide to prevent the side of your boot getting between the main lever and the other part of the mechanism without having to make a specific "shield" to achieve it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

CB 350 Four is other way curved.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »
No Ted, the pivot pin located on the footrest bar was what I meant.

I've ordered a new lever from Bertums so we will see how bad it it.

This is the back of the pivot pin Ken.

.back of lever pivot pin by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:51 PM »
Looks like a press fit welded to me so should be replaceable

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »
Hi Ted, I think I'm correct in saying that many of us here are in a fairly similar age group, and can possibly remember when these bikes were introduced. It was a time of 400/4's,  Yam LC hooligan bikes, Kawasaki 3 cylinder suicide missiles. The young wannabees that bought them just filled the petrol tanks, kicked the tyres, and wrung their throttle cables to breaking point. The fact that so many of them survived says a lot about the build quality!
   I'm sure that you, me, and many others here were brought up with a view to a certain amount of mechanical sympathy. One of the old adages that was drummed into me was "if it moves, oil it".  I shouldn't think many of these original gear linkages saw a drop of grease in their life.  I've been very fortunate that I bought my bike in 1988 from an enthusiast, and it's had a fair bit of TLC ever since. I am still running the original gear linkage, but I had it re-chromed about 5 years ago.  So, I know you won't forget to fill that mid section of the spigot with grease, and if you can, get hold of an aerosol can of 'dry' grease with a nozzle and fill inside the rubbers on the rose joints. Have fun. Mike.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 04:42:33 PM »
Hi Ted, I think I'm correct in saying that many of us here are in a fairly similar age group, and can possibly remember when these bikes were introduced. It was a time of 400/4's,  Yam LC hooligan bikes, Kawasaki 3 cylinder suicide missiles. The young wannabees that bought them just filled the petrol tanks, kicked the tyres, and wrung their throttle cables to breaking point. The fact that so many of them survived says a lot about the build quality!
   I'm sure that you, me, and many others here were brought up with a view to a certain amount of mechanical sympathy. One of the old adages that was drummed into me was "if it moves, oil it".  I shouldn't think many of these original gear linkages saw a drop of grease in their life.  I've been very fortunate that I bought my bike in 1988 from an enthusiast, and it's had a fair bit of TLC ever since. I am still running the original gear linkage, but I had it re-chromed about 5 years ago.  So, I know you won't forget to fill that mid section of the spigot with grease, and if you can, get hold of an aerosol can of 'dry' grease with a nozzle and fill inside the rubbers on the rose joints. Have fun. Mike.
I loaded a syringe without a needle to pump the joints full of grease!

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »
The trouble with the ball joints is that even new there is a lot of movement not meant to be present. That's why I replaced mine with proper Rose joints and now there is no slack at all present. Yes grease will help but it won't cure what is frankly a poor substitute for a proper Rose Joint.

I'd agree 100% with the lack of grease on the pivot pin, even when they were still fairly new it was not uncommon to have the gear lever vibrating around like it had Dementia.

If the new footrest is ok can I have the old one to play with Ted, I may be able to come up with a solution that not only replaces the entire lever setup but also encompasses a pivot point that is sealed and thus holds grease.

I have one complete Ken if you want that?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 10:50:00 PM »
Chewy is all but done, I'm waiting on the air box from the states and the pipes back from the ceracote then thats it apart from test rides and setting it all up. She's getting stashed in the hall until the spring. Besides, the V5 only came this morning; not bad considering we sent it off in FEB!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Happy to try stuff for you buddy, thats no probs. It's as I took it off the bike with everything there. Even the pinch bolt I think that locks it to the splines.

Im away with work for a night but send me a reminder  poke tomorrow and I'll dig it out when I get back. I know where its at so should only take a few mins and I can send you some piccies first if you like?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
My replacement lever mechanism arrived today from Bertrums - it's actually better than I anticiated from the pics - fitted it today - it's reduced the movement by a good 85-90% - it's certainly not worth replacing the pivot end unless I found a NOS part for £15.

The chrome on the splined end is surprisingly good - nice link bar - the main lever is a tad duller than the photo but still good value for £44.50. I need to get a new circlip the old one is in poor condition - I used a sump plug washer on either side to make it a nice fit. Yeah they are  alloy but until I find the right sizes in SS they will do.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
Ken,

Im in the middle of a scrap clearout at the min at home and its earmarked for the bin, just PM me your address and I'll send it over regardless, its all there and I'd hate to bin it if you can use it.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
Gear lever update - the Bertums lever fits okay but the main lever is about 4-5 mm shorter between the centre of the pivot and the end rubber toe grip shaft- not good as I have size 11 feet but I will manage.

Just mention it in case anyone with big feet like buys one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal