Author Topic: Gear shift pivot play fix?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Gear shift pivot play fix?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »
The trouble with the ball joints is that even new there is a lot of movement not meant to be present. That's why I replaced mine with proper Rose joints and now there is no slack at all present. Yes grease will help but it won't cure what is frankly a poor substitute for a proper Rose Joint.

I'd agree 100% with the lack of grease on the pivot pin, even when they were still fairly new it was not uncommon to have the gear lever vibrating around like it had Dementia.

If the new footrest is ok can I have the old one to play with Ted, I may be able to come up with a solution that not only replaces the entire lever setup but also encompasses a pivot point that is sealed and thus holds grease.

I have one complete Ken if you want that?
Mornings are the invention of the devil!
1977 CB550F (new money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC
1977 CB400F (current money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid!!)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 02:11:06 AM »
That would be great Roo, I'll pay postage of course.

Is your 400 on the road? reason I ask is that if the mod works I'll need someone to fit it, see if it fits first, then roadtest it and let me know any feedback.

If it works I'll explain how it was done, what you need to do it etc.

I don't suppose by complete you mean gear lever as well? I need to know the length of the connecting rod to see if I can source one in a different material, maybe bronze or stainless or titanium.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2021, 10:50:00 PM »
Chewy is all but done, I'm waiting on the air box from the states and the pipes back from the ceracote then thats it apart from test rides and setting it all up. She's getting stashed in the hall until the spring. Besides, the V5 only came this morning; not bad considering we sent it off in FEB!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Happy to try stuff for you buddy, thats no probs. It's as I took it off the bike with everything there. Even the pinch bolt I think that locks it to the splines.

Im away with work for a night but send me a reminder  poke tomorrow and I'll dig it out when I get back. I know where its at so should only take a few mins and I can send you some piccies first if you like?
2002 VFR800 VTEC

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
My replacement lever mechanism arrived today from Bertrums - it's actually better than I anticiated from the pics - fitted it today - it's reduced the movement by a good 85-90% - it's certainly not worth replacing the pivot end unless I found a NOS part for £15.

The chrome on the splined end is surprisingly good - nice link bar - the main lever is a tad duller than the photo but still good value for £44.50. I need to get a new circlip the old one is in poor condition - I used a sump plug washer on either side to make it a nice fit. Yeah they are  alloy but until I find the right sizes in SS they will do.
Honda CB400F2 under restoration
Land Rover Freelander Series 2
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Mercedes R129 SL500

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
Keep hold of it Roo, I'm replacing my PC very soon and I may be missing for a while as I transfer stuff over.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
Ken,

Im in the middle of a scrap clearout at the min at home and its earmarked for the bin, just PM me your address and I'll send it over regardless, its all there and I'd hate to bin it if you can use it.
2002 VFR800 VTEC

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
Gear lever update - the Bertums lever fits okay but the main lever is about 4-5 mm shorter between the centre of the pivot and the end rubber toe grip shaft- not good as I have size 11 feet but I will manage.

Just mention it in case anyone with big feet like buys one.
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Mercedes R129 SL500

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 02:47:51 AM »
What is the measurements of both please Ted so I can compare with my mod.

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »
What is the measurements of both please Ted so I can compare with my mod.

In the absence of air gauges or laser tools the best I can do is measure from the centre of the pivot to the imaginary centre of the toe end part as if it were a flat plane.
I drew a circle inside the pivot hole onto a card then dropped down vertically as accurately as possible from the toe end centre point using my calipers.
I figure this represents the actual leverage as it eliminates the curve.

The Honda part the  length between these two points was 115 mm.

On my Bertrums one (visually lacks the curve) it was 110 mm.

E&OE

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Mercedes R129 SL500

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
I don't know if it's the angle of the photo in your other thread Ted, but is the dimension from main lever pivot point to the centre of first ball joint the same as original?  The new one looks shorter than original part (in photos) which would need more movement of the foot end to get the same gearbox transaction.

As noted, it's perception from the comparison photos but maybe no difference in reality.

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
I don't know if it's the angle of the photo in your other thread Ted, but is the dimension from main lever pivot point to the centre of first ball joint the same as original?  The new one looks shorter than original part (in photos) which would need more movement of the foot end to get the same gearbox transaction.

As noted, it's perception from the comparison photos but maybe no difference in reality.

The replacement arm is wider at that point so looks squatter - the difference if there is any is very small.   

Likewise the arm on the splines certainly  looks different but is pretty much indentical in terms of leverage.

Having big feet means the shift pedal end will be further away from my toes nearer the top of my Tarsal bones (tarsuls / talas)!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:52:14 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Mercedes R129 SL500

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal