Author Topic: Gear shift pivot play fix?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Gear shift pivot play fix?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »
What is the measurements of both please Ted so I can compare with my mod.

In the absence of air gauges or laser tools the best I can do is measure from the centre of the pivot to the imaginary centre of the toe end part as if it were a flat plane.
I drew a circle inside the pivot hole onto a card then dropped down vertically as accurately as possible from the toe end centre point using my calipers.
I figure this represents the actual leverage as it eliminates the curve.

The Honda part the  length between these two points was 115 mm.

On my Bertrums one (visually lacks the curve) it was 110 mm.

E&OE

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
I don't know if it's the angle of the photo in your other thread Ted, but is the dimension from main lever pivot point to the centre of first ball joint the same as original?  The new one looks shorter than original part (in photos) which would need more movement of the foot end to get the same gearbox transaction.

As noted, it's perception from the comparison photos but maybe no difference in reality.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
I don't know if it's the angle of the photo in your other thread Ted, but is the dimension from main lever pivot point to the centre of first ball joint the same as original?  The new one looks shorter than original part (in photos) which would need more movement of the foot end to get the same gearbox transaction.

As noted, it's perception from the comparison photos but maybe no difference in reality.

The replacement arm is wider at that point so looks squatter - the difference if there is any is very small.   

Likewise the arm on the splines certainly  looks different but is pretty much indentical in terms of leverage.

Having big feet means the shift pedal end will be further away from my toes nearer the top of my Tarsal bones (tarsuls / talas)!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:52:14 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal