Author Topic: Ramp safety front wheel removal advice please ?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Ramp safety front wheel removal advice please ?
« on: November 23, 2021, 03:34:31 PM »
Sorry to ask such a basic question but after my last centre stand close shave incident looking for the best & safest way to remove the front wheel - this is my first thought.

Today I wheeled the bike off the ramp and managed to get it back on again with the rear wheel at the clamp end (took me three attempts to get it up the ramp whilst astride the Bike). I've pulled it back on the centre stand and have the rear tyre lightly clamped. I have a strap between the front triangular engine mount and the centre stand to stop the stand from closing.

I have a removeable panel (now under front wheel)) to enable a wheel to drop down but need to safely jack up the front a bit so I can remove it. My straps do not have a ratchet system I just pull them as tight as I can.

I'm reluctant to jack up on the sump so was thinking a sturdy block of wood under each side of the lower frame with a cross piece attached via some corner brackets - then jack up close to the front of the sump area - presumably I would have to release the rear clamp so the wheel makes contact with the ramp floor - then clamp the rear wheel - am hoping this will lift the front wheel a tad so I can safely remove the cover panel.

I might be overthinking the process but do not want a  mishap - looking for best safe practice - I do not have an overhead lifting capability?

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp safety front wheel removal advice please ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »
You could try a scaffolder's strapping to secure it (there's probably a sailing or boy scouting name for it too, but I learnt it while loading scaffolding onto lorries) if you secure a strap end to your ramp just below the footrest, then go up to the top rear shock mount, take one wrap round there, then go to rear of ramp to loop through a secure point.  Now the end heads back to the first run from ramp to top shock mount at halfway between the two points, loop round there and now when you pull the end back toward that rear of ramp securing point it'll winch the back of the bike downward and back to lift the front end completely and hold it. Secure the strap end there and do the other side too.

Sounds much more complex than it is in reality, but once you work it through you'll see it's very quick and with very high leverage to do what you want.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
Place a biggish square of timber under the sump, Jack the whole bike up a bit and put an axle stand under each side of the bottom frame tubes, put a bit of rag or something on the top of the axle stands to save your paintwork. Lower jack down so frame is sitting on the axle the stands. Depending on how well your bike is sitting on its center stand, using Nigels suggestion above to strap the back end down, which will bring the front up, is also a good way. You could use the strap method combined with the axle stands under the frame for extra security.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:18:46 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
I'm quite happy with a scissor jack; came with some adapters to place underneath the frame tubes, or rigid parts of the oil-pan (depending on the model I'm working on)
https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/rothewald-scissor-lift-jack-inclusive-adapters/10003265
For smaller bikes a head jack might work, it's set into the steering tube, but I'd miss work clearance (like when doing fork overhaul, head bearings...)
https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/kern-stabi-front-head-stand-adapter-for-10002650/10002654
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 06:00:07 PM »
On the centre stand and put yer strop through the back wheel. Push the back end down so the wheel touches the floor and tighten the strap. If you want to chock the motor do it, if not it'll be fine as is.
Mine sat like that for a month while I faffed about and didn't adjust it once until the front wheel went in and it went down on the wheels. The least amount of 'things balancing' the better so I dont use stands, jacks, nothing,. If the centre stand is tall enough to get the front wheel down and out, it's the easiest way and simple to do on your own. before I had the ramp, when I rebuilt the forks on the VFR I had to work on the floor so just attached a frame fixing into the floor with a ring on and just fastened the back of the bike to that. Dead easy!
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
I found a small scissor jack really useful for this sort of job.
These have two upstands with rubberised coating that can be adjusted to sit under the frame sections.
This sort of thing...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Cheers,
Andy

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
That's a neat looking Jack Andy can you post me a link.
Thanks for everyone's answers I will probably end up with a hybrid solution.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »
I have a jack like the one Andy pictured. I used it for front wheel removal etc. on bikes where I had to put a paddock stand under the swingarm due to the absence of a centre stand.

It supports the frame....and the frame supports can be moved to sit right for the frame. Where no frame rails exist.....I remove the rail bits....and use a bit of wood with rags or a piece of old carpet on top to protect the engine.

I binned the silly little tommy-bar they supply to raise or lower it, and just put a ratcht and suitable socket on the thing to take it up or down. Cost me about £50 off Amazon

price has gone up a bit since I got mine .... but heres the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0851DS64Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:26:51 PM by SumpMagnet »
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 02:15:50 PM »
Ted,
The one I've got is the 'Oypla Heavy Duty 500kg Motorcycle Motor Bike Stand Scissor Lift' from Amazon - bought it a couple of years ago for about £40 from memory.
One nice thing with them is that they're not hydraulic so don't start lowering on their own if left for a while!

Cheers,
Andy

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »
I've ordered a similar looking one should be here at the end of the week 1100 lbs lift capability for £45 on e-Bay. Thanks for the pointers.

Update
Here it is in use - I like the lock pin even though a screw should never come down - it was quite heavy!

bike scissor jack by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:36:09 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
These scissor jacks are brilliant - thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction.

Surprisingly well made & sturdy for £47.54 delivered - and darn heavy too.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »
I have the jack affair too, but if you are in a hurry remove rear shocks pull down the rear end and secure it, you will also be able to chock the underneath forward of the stand, the front wheel will be high enough then, done it myself before i got the jack, i also have two eyes that screw into the floor that i put a ratchet strap through before to pull the rear ends down.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:33:12 PM by kevski »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
Good of them to match the colour of your frame Ted…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »
When I did my front and rear end together I had bike sitting on center stand and supported the front end with two axle stands on the lower frame rails with some card to protect the frame rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »
I have a set of 2.5 Ton axle stands that are about 30 years old that I have used for  my 4 x 4's - they are too big to fit between the engine & the frame rails hence the scissor jack arrangement.

I have to say it's a sturdy bit of kit for the price - like a lot of folk I'm a sucker for a good tool (no inuendo intended).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal