Author Topic: Rear brake stop  (Read 572 times)

oldchuffer

Rear brake stop
« on: November 23, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »
Managed to get my rear wheel back in the frame today together with the rear brake rod, pivot and pedal. However, when i tighten the adjuster at the brake drum end it pulls back the brake pedal, i cant see any sort of "stopper" to stop the brake pedal being pulled backwards. Am i missing something? 

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake stop
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 05:37:45 PM »
I'm assuming you have the pedal return spring fitted correctly  to the brake pedal shaft  & the rear adjuster rod spring - only other adjustments are the position of the pedal on the shaft and the rear lever on the drum - there is also a stop adjuster screw on the footrest to trim the pedal height.

The strength of the pedal return spring should be such that adjusting the rod end it's unable to pull against the pedal - if I remember correctly there are spot /dot marks on both the brake pedal shaft & the drum end to get the right starting points on the splines.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 06:45:55 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:09:29 PM »
Ahh thanks Ted, you may have the answer there. I havent put the footrest on yet so if its got an adjuster for the pedal height that might be it.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:32:41 PM »
Ahh thanks Ted, you may have the answer there. I havent put the footrest on yet so if its got an adjuster for the pedal height that might be it.

I suspect the pedal will just go up too far without the foot rest in position - you will loose some tension in the return spring - as you say when you fit the footrest all will be different -  some adjustment at the brake hub will then resolve your issue.

It took me a few times to get the rear hub lever in a position so everything was just right - my end adjuster is such that  the rod is not quite protruding - I expect after a few brake applications the linings will bed in so I can turn it a couple of rotations.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:36:05 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
Yes Ted you are right, examined my footrest today and although not fitted yet i can see how it works. Previous bikes i've worked on have always had the stopper on the frame. You learn something every day!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal