Author Topic: Seized brake piston  (Read 2810 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Seized brake piston
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 05:59:58 PM »
Good work...my advice was going to be to get a 'sprotor' (horrible word for a sprocket rotor!), then you wouldn't need the front brake. Or divert the build to be a speedway style bike and stick with a rear brake only!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 06:12:36 PM »
Damn...good work getting that thing out. Can see now why it didn;t want to shift.

I had one stuck piston on my brakes that didn;t want to shift, but it was such a nice feeling when I finally got it to budge, and I could clean out the sludge, gunk and sludge that can build up in a brake caliper given enough time :)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
Good work, they really do keep quite a grip in there with corrosion don't they.

Many of the current cars get similar affects on rear calipers with aluminium construction, no routine servicing (much advice now is to swap calipers when seized) and combined handbrake mechanism and they often get very tight with salt corrosion. They creak like an old galleon when pushed out with the assisted brake pressure on the car. Clean up fine though and reassemble with silicone grease to prevent corrosion, they work as good as new.

That seal groove will need to be very critically cleaned for the caliper to work well when rebuilding.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 06:35:03 PM »
At least we can get seals for the bikes, most cars now you cant get kits.

Offline PaulC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 06:49:58 PM »
Once again thanks for all the advice and comments. The pop when it finally came out was very satisfying, but it put up a hell of fight! 😀

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 09:45:47 PM »
There is a recommended seller on here for stainless pistons, he is also on ebay but its cheaper direct

Offline PaulC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 09:47:52 AM »
There is a recommended seller on here for stainless pistons, he is also on ebay but its cheaper direct

Cheers Bryanj already purchased new one from DSS 😀

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »
Well done PX in finally getting the piston out - these victories along the way make it all worthwhile.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline PaulC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 10:16:20 AM »
Well done PX in finally getting the piston out - these victories along the way make it all worthwhile.

Cheers Ted - one giant step for man and all that! Front fork rebuild next whilst some parts go to the sandblaster. But still looking for bits that were missing 😀

Offline wildtapholer

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
You were lucky, when I bought my 400 I never noticed the bleed nipple was missing off the front brake, on strip down had to bite the bullet and get a new caliper as someone had filled the threaded part where the bleed nipple went with liquid metal. I tried to clear it all out but it was too far down into the fluid ways, how they bleed the brakes I have no idea. My first thoughts when I saw the missing nipple was, not a problem drill out the old one best I can, stud extractor to remove what was let, not a problem, recut the threads, how wrong I was.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »

Where do find his details Bryan? I'm sure I've seen a list of suppliers on here but cant remember how to navigate back to it again.

It's me age! ::)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
Click on forum at top of page then recommended sources, i think its Honda Classics

Offline PaulC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
You were lucky, when I bought my 400 I never noticed the bleed nipple was missing off the front brake, on strip down had to bite the bullet and get a new caliper as someone had filled the threaded part where the bleed nipple went with liquid metal. I tried to clear it all out but it was too far down into the fluid ways, how they bleed the brakes I have no idea. My first thoughts when I saw the missing nipple was, not a problem drill out the old one best I can, stud extractor to remove what was let, not a problem, recut the threads, how wrong I was.

Jeez, that sounds like a PITA 😀

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2021, 10:19:56 PM »
Click on forum at top of page then recommended sources, i think its Honda Classics

Cheers Bryan..
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 07:16:51 AM »
My first thoughts when I saw the missing nipple was, not a problem drill out the old one best I can, stud extractor to remove what was let, not a problem, recut the threads, how wrong I was.

Well done .. always satisfying when you get those apart.

wildtapholer ... we know where your name on here come from  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal