Author Topic: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit  (Read 5793 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
I regularly order from Yamiya and pay in Japanese Yen.

I have an account with Wise (and a debit card) where you get the actual exchange rate and pay a small fee.

Last time I ordered a tank set I saved probably £30-40 in bank exchange rate fees.

You can similarly pay for stuff from Europe in Euros etc…

Worth looking at - if you do join then feel free to use the link below (yes I do get a credit if you join lol)..

https://wise.com/invite/i/jamesh587

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »
Cheers James will have a look at that. Does the Yamiya tank come ready to fit with the chrome strips etc or are they extra's.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »
https://www.cybike.co.uk/

Cybike are offering a 10% Discount and they sell Yamiya stuff. Might be worth calling them.
Couldn't find any Honda body sets on there Alan. Plenty of Z1 gear though.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 08:53:29 PM »
Cheers James will have a look at that. Does the Yamiya tank come ready to fit with the chrome strips etc or are they extra's.

No, that is all extra and will set you back another £300 or so if you require to fully kit both the tank and side panels.

Currently they are only showing tank and side panel kits, so you will need to check if the tank is available on it own and if so at what cost.

CMS currently have tanks and side panels in stock, but it looks like you will pay as much for just the tank as you would for both the tank and side panels from Yamiya despite the high postal cost?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:13:22 PM by sprinta »

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »
Hi Roy,
I think Cybike only processes an order of Yamiya Tanks and Side Panels etc when there are a few sets to offset the Shipping costs.

He often 'trawls' through his Customers to see if anybody wants a set, then he asks for a Deposit (which probably covers his outgoing costs) and then makes his profit when they are landed in the UK and the residual costs are requested from his Customers.

Worth calling him....and worth mentioning on here to jog other Members that an Order may be worth them getting on board.

Good luck anyway.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »

I have an account with Wise (and a debit card) where you get the actual exchange rate and pay a small fee.

Last time I ordered a tank set I saved probably £30-40 in bank exchange rate fees.

Worth looking at - if you do join then feel free to use the link below (yes I do get a credit if you join lol)..

James, as you have used Yamyia before to receive tanks can you advise if you have been charged extra for delivery to the UK as Yamyia are now saying that the UK is in "UPS Extended Area" as as a result they want an additional 4000 JPY. They are now asking for 34,000 JPY, or around £225 on which I will then have to pay 20% VAT making it around £270 just for the postage for the tank which is getting a bit silly!!!!!!!!!

Can you, or anybody else who has actually had deliveries from Yamyia, please advise your/their own experience?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 01:34:40 PM »

James, as you have used Yamyia before to receive tanks can you advise if you have been charged extra for delivery to the UK as Yamyia are now saying that the UK is in "UPS Extended Area" as as a result they want an additional 4000 JPY. They are now asking for 34,000 JPY, or around £225 on which I will then have to pay 20% VAT making it around £270 just for the postage for the tank which is getting a bit silly!!!!!!!!!

Can you, or anybody else who has actually had deliveries from Yamyia, please advise your/their own experience?
Sadly, that is now the case and your maths are correct. Eye watering option.

I have a Custom SIlver K2 (JDM colour scheme) tank and cover set here in the UK, surplus to requirements if anyone wants to buy it? https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_157_271_242&products_id=2657

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »
I'm going off the idea of a Yamiya body kit with each post. I think I may look for a good used tank with some DSS side panels and get them off to Menno.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Or get it all from Menno in one hit as he often has kits for sale in stock? It may  represent a best value, least hassle solution?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »
Or get it all from Menno in one hit as he often has kits for sale in stock? It may  represent a best value, least hassle solution?
I’m not knocking Menno’s work (which is outstanding and I’m a big advocate of his) but in all honesty, I don’t think you can better the finish of the Yamiya supplied paint sets. The quality on every single set I’ve bought from them is simply outstanding and the best I’ve seen. Just a personal opinion.

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
However, I require a full tank and side panel kit as I do not have either to re-paint and Memo has not indicated that he has a kit in the colour I want available from stock.

I would like to hear from anybody who has actually ordered and received a tank kit from Yamiya to know what shipping cost/charges were made as the reason for the extra amount they say UPS requires keeps changing.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »
I’ve not ordered a tank kit from Yamiya in the past 12 months so I can’t comment on the UPS ‘surplus’ charge element.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
The tax and postage on just a full set of shells for my CB750 from Yamiya was eye watering enough, but sometimes you have no choice these days.

An alternative to the body kit may be to do what I did - ordered a new replica tank and side panels from David Silver, and had them posted straight to Menno to work his magic. It worked out very well, but it was before the 'B' word that shall not be mentioned.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
An update and some advise if you are ordering anything from Yamiya.

As previously advised I ordered a tank kit and associated parts from Yamiya to which a shipping cost is added based on the total individual weights, though you are advised there may be additional shipping costs. In my case they requested an additional 3,900 JPR over and above the already high 30,000 JPN which I queried. Neither of the reasons they gave I could really see were required or necessary.

On going back and looking at the various parts order I noted that each individual part has an associated weight which is added together to create the overall shipping weight. However, when I looked at the tank moulded 'chrome' strips these has a weight of 3000g, 3Kg. This is/was clearly an error as I doubt they weigh more than 300g. The impact of this meant that my overall shipping weight jumped from around 19Kg to around 22Kg and once above 20Kg there is a fair jump in the shipping weight costs.

I did bring this to their attention, but it remains the same so be aware of this if you decide to order the tank moulded chrome strips from Yamiya.

The conclusion for me was to cancel the original order and re-order without the moulded strips, which are actually cheaper to get from DS. This shaved about £60 off the original shipping cost plus the extra VAT I would have to pay on it in the UK.

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
The tax and postage on just a full set of shells for my CB750 from Yamiya was eye watering enough, but sometimes you have no choice these days.

An alternative to the body kit may be to do what I did - ordered a new replica tank and side panels from David Silver, and had them posted straight to Menno to work his magic. It worked out very well, but it was before the 'B' word that shall not be mentioned.

Probably before 'B' happened it may well have been the best option, as you say to have got the tank and side panels from DS and then have Memo do his magic as you would not have been exposed to any VAT and customs charges on it's return to the UK.

But having looked at all the options, CMS want around £1460 inc VAT & postage, just for a tank and panel set. The same set from Yamiya is around £926 inc shipping (depending on exchange rate at the time) plus VAT etc when it arrives in the UK which at 20% will add another £185, or so (?) or around a total of £1112, considerably cheaper than the CMS option even with the much higher sipping cost.

I don't know how that compares to shipping a new tank and side panels to Memo and if you will now have to pay VAT and any other customs cost when it returns to the UK.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:28:12 PM by sprinta »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal