Author Topic: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit  (Read 5898 times)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »
The tax and postage on just a full set of shells for my CB750 from Yamiya was eye watering enough, but sometimes you have no choice these days.

An alternative to the body kit may be to do what I did - ordered a new replica tank and side panels from David Silver, and had them posted straight to Menno to work his magic. It worked out very well, but it was before the 'B' word that shall not be mentioned.

Probably before 'B' happened it may well have been the best option, as you say to have got the tank and side panels from DS and then have Memo do his magic as you would not have been exposed to any VAT and customs charges on it's return to the UK?

But having looked at all the options, CMS want around £1460 inc VAT & postage, just for a tank and panel set. The same set from Yamiya is around £926 inc shipping (depending on exchange rate at the time) plus VAT etc when it arrives in the UK which at 20% will add another £185, or so (?) or around a total of £1112, considerably cheaper than the CMS option even with the much higher sipping cost.

I don't know how that compares to shipping a new tank and side panels to Memo and if you will now have to pay VAT and any other customs cost when it returns to the UK.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
Yes I think your correct about the weights. I have been looking at the same thing and the packed weight of a tank and two plastic side panels is not 18kg. The thing must be about 8mm thick. A tank would be about 18kg full of fuel? That's about 40lbs which is approximately a full sack of potato's.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 02:35:02 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »
I think it's volumetric as well as weight.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
Yes the quoted shipping weight for the tank and side panel set at 18Kg does seem to be rather high and is probably not correct. However, I would expect it to be probably in a double skinned box to ensure no damage during shipping? I am afraid there is nothing you can do about that. They gave the package size as 60cm x 36cm x 49 cm.

Even with the high shipping and import costs the Yamiya set works out a lot cheaper than CMS. However, if you have an old tank and side panels then sending them to Memo may be the best option, but I do not know what impact 'B' has had on then importing back into the UK again and if you would then have to face any import cost? Perhaps somebody who has recently gone that route since 'B' can advise?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:08:08 PM by sprinta »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »
One day I will take the “B” word out of the auto censor list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
I won't hold my breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »
Yes the quoted shipping weight for the tank and side panel set at 18Kg does seem to be rather high and is probably not correct. However, I would expect it to be probably in a double skinned box to ensure no damage during shipping? I am afraid there is nothing you can do about that. They gave the package size as 60cm x 36cm x 49 cm.

Even with the high shipping and import costs the Yamiya set works out a lot cheaper than CMS. However, if you have an old tank and side panels then sending them to Memo may be the best option, but I do not know what impact 'B' has had on then importing back into the UK again and if you would then have to face any import cost? Perhaps somebody who has recently gone that route since 'B' can advise?

I'm sure Menno posted on here some time ago that if items are being sent over to him to put on there that the country of origin as Holland to him and the UK on the way back to you  and you wont get charged. He mentioned that the bits are 40+ years old and in no way should they be charging on items of that vintage. Might be worth a message if anybody's unsure to clarify.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 12:51:47 AM »
I am affraid this only works if your parts are virtually worthless.
Say an old dented rusty tank and old  badly repainted sidecovers are for customs easy to be seen as worthless parts.

However; returning fresh refubished parts is going to be different.

Until January 2022 it will still not be taxed but this should change 1st of January. Probably.

Problem is that if you state the packages worth on 100 euro, this is what you will get from the insurance if something happens.
And if package is checked you might get a fine.

Next problem: worth max is 999 euro because if you go over that amount you'll need to fill out 30 pages of customs declarations.

Now... no one will exactly know how much will be charged to import goods from the EU but the best guess is; it will probably the same amount one has to pay in Europe to have parcels imported in the EU.
Import tarifs on packages are aprox. 25%  to 40% on the total value of the package.
That includes handling fees, charging fees and many more fees I never even knew existed.

This is the main reason nobody I know in Germany, The Netherlands or France buy stuff in the UK anymore.
In Spain I know only Diego, so maybe he can share his experiences.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2021, 10:34:58 PM »
Really interesting Menno, cheers for that. Why couldnt they just have left things as they were? >:(

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
Because we voted out

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2021, 06:32:04 PM »
I didnt! but we are where we are! ;)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2021, 03:34:31 PM »
Received my tank and panel set from Yamiya today, so I can give you an update on the overall costs which may assist others trying to decide which route to go?

In my case I wanted a K2 set on which my costs relate to. However, sets for the K0, K1 & K3 to K6 are price differently so you would need to use their individual costs.

The K2 set is priced at 115,000 JPY (no vat) and using 0.0067 for the exchange rate comes to around £770.50 on which you will have to pay 20% VAT on arrival in the UK giving a cost of around £924.60.

On arrival in the UK you will then have to pay a 2.7% customs duty on the original price (£770.50) of the parts ordered or around £20.80 to which 20% VAT will be added.

You will also have to pay 20% VAT on the cost of the postage and any separate insurance.

The given shipping weight for the tank set is given as 18kg with a cost of 23,100JPY or around  £155 on which you will also have to pay 20% VAT.

Unfortunately it seems that you will no doubt be asked for an additional UPS shipping cost for which Yamiya are not able/willing to give any real explanation for other than it is what UPS want. In my case it was an additional 1800JPY or around £12, plus VAT.

So the additional shipping and customs cost on arrival for this example was around £226 inc VAT.

Then the final insult is that UPS then charge £11.20 handling charge.

So the total cost delivered for a K2 tank and panel set will be around £1162 (assuming I have got my maths right?)

The actual weight of the box on arrival was measured at just under 9Kg and not the 19Kg used and charged for. However, you will find that it is the size, volume, that actually dictates the price as when I did a UPS shipping cost from Japan to UK using the size there was no change in the price between 9Kg or 19Kg.

So how does this compare? Firstly remember I have use a K2 tank set and that other tank sets will have different prices, though the shipping weights and cost should be similar?

1. The same tank set from CMS will set you back £1455 inc p&p and VAT, but there may be some other custom cost to pay, so considerably cheaper from Yamiya despite the high postal cost.

2. A new tank in primer from DS is £360 inc VAT and a pair of side panels around £80 inc VAT or around £440 inc plus postage. You will then have the cost of the paint at £? together with any additional shipping or customs cost if done aboard?

Clearly if you have a good tank and side panels the best way is to simply just get them re-painted, but if like me you needed both then the Yamiya route has been the most cost effective way.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
Received my tank and panel set from Yamiya today, so I can give you an update on the overall costs which may assist others trying to decide which route to go?

In my case I wanted a K2 set on which my costs relate to. However, sets for the K0, K1 & K3 to K6 are price differently so you would need to use their individual costs.

The K2 set is priced at 115,000 JPY (no vat) and using 0.0067 for the exchange rate comes to around £770.50 on which you will have to pay 20% VAT on arrival in the UK giving a cost of around £924.60.

On arrival in the UK you will then have to pay a 2.7% customs duty on the original price (£770.50) of the parts ordered or around £20.80 to which 20% VAT will be added.

You will also have to pay 20% VAT on the cost of the postage and any separate insurance.

The given shipping weight for the tank set is given as 18kg with a cost of 23,100JPY or around  £155 on which you will also have to pay 20% VAT.

Unfortunately it seems that you will no doubt be asked for an additional UPS shipping cost for which Yamiya are not able/willing to give any real explanation for other than it is what UPS want. In my case it was an additional 1800JPY or around £12, plus VAT.

So the additional shipping and customs cost on arrival for this example was around £226 inc VAT.

Then the final insult is that UPS then charge £11.20 handling charge.

So the total cost delivered for a K2 tank and panel set will be around £1162 (assuming I have got my maths right?)

The actual weight of the box on arrival was measured at just under 9Kg and not the 19Kg used and charged for. However, you will find that it is the size, volume, that actually dictates the price as when I did a UPS shipping cost from Japan to UK using the size there was no change in the price between 9Kg or 19Kg.

So how does this compare? Firstly remember I have use a K2 tank set and that other tank sets will have different prices, though the shipping weights and cost should be similar?

1. The same tank set from CMS will set you back £1455 inc p&p and VAT, but there may be some other custom cost to pay, so considerably cheaper from Yamiya despite the high postal cost.

2. A new tank in primer from DS is £360 inc VAT and a pair of side panels around £80 inc VAT or around £440 inc plus postage. You will then have the cost of the paint at £? together with any additional shipping or customs cost if done aboard?

Clearly if you have a good tank and side panels the best way is to simply just get them re-painted, but if like me you needed both then the Yamiya route has been the most cost effective way.

Brilliant analysis / summary - thanks for taking the time to pull this together. James

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2021, 04:21:51 PM »
No problem if it helps others, as it is an expensive expenditure.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Kin El!!! :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal