Author Topic: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit  (Read 5801 times)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit
« on: November 26, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing a Yamiya tank and side panel kit, together with the various bits to complete them, which I would appreciate some advice on from anybody who has previously bought a kit?

1. I note that they only seem to accept payment in Yen, $'s and Euro's and not in £'s, is that the case?

2. I assume that you will have to pay UK 20% VAT and a customs duty, if so do Yamiya collect that or do I you have to pay for that in the UK before it is delivered and if so what sort of custom duty do you have to pay over and above the VAT?

3. They give a packed weight of around 20Kg with a delivery cost on near the £200 mark, Och!!!!!!!!!! Even with the packaging added 20Kg seems a very high delivery weight. Is that what others have had to pay?

Thanks

Andy

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Yamiya Tank and Side Panel Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
I can answer some of those questions.

No, you can't pay in £ GBP, we always pay in Euro.

Any Duties and extra delivery costs, ie, hijack fee from UPS/ FEDEX / etc, can be paid on line. The courier (handling company) send you a chitty through the post and you pay it on line. The handling company collect on behalf of HMRC. The courier will not release goods until bill is paid.

VAT, I haven't got a clue about at the moment. I order from Yamiya every month but keep under the thresholds.

20kg is taking into account not just the weight but its a HUGE box that it's sent in, so dimensions also come into play.
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
PS. The exchange rate from Yen to Euro is appalling today, I did a Yamiya order this morning.

Edit... Just looking at the Yamyia invoice from last month, we get charged and pay 10% VAT at time of purchase. 10% being the VAT rate in Japan.

Edit.... If you send them an email and ask questions, the person that answers understands English very well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 05:48:07 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »
I assume they are sending stuff airmail, ratyher than surface...and usually those are charged volumetric weights. Space is limited, so that would push up the cost of postage fopr something like that. But....on the flip side....would you want that lovely new tank and sidepanel set to spend a couple of months in a container sailing halfway round the world.....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
It used to be
3% import duty
Add up cost+carriage+import duty then total is subject to 20% vat( yes you pay tax on the tax)
Couriers then charge a "fee" for collecting the money, Post office £8, Parcelfarce £11, ups/fedex i think were about £16

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:18:53 AM »
So.. what kind of tankset are you looking for? I have one in stock...

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »

Any Duties and extra delivery costs, ie, hijack fee from UPS/ FEDEX / etc, can be paid on line. The courier (handling company) send you a chitty through the post and you pay it on line. The handling company collect on behalf of HMRC. The courier will not release goods until bill is paid.

VAT, I haven't got a clue about at the moment. I order from Yamiya every month but keep under the thresholds.

20kg is taking into account not just the weight but its a HUGE box that it's sent in, so dimensions also come into play.
PS. The exchange rate from Yen to Euro is appalling today, I did a Yamiya order this morning.

Edit... Just looking at the Yamyia invoice from last month, we get charged and pay 10% VAT at time of purchase. 10% being the VAT rate in Japan.

Edit.... If you send them an email and ask questions, the person that answers understands English very well.

Thank for the clarification Julie.

The actual VAT to be paid is still a bit of a mystry as the prices in Yen on the Yamyia site includes their 10% VAT which drop out or an overseas order. Also paying in Euros leaves you at the mercy of the exchange rate that the CC company use, which is usually much worse than the normal rate?

You say you pay the 10% VAT Japan rate at time of purchase but your orders are below the thresholds, what is the threshold?

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 04:50:44 PM »
I assume they are sending stuff airmail, ratyher than surface...and usually those are charged volumetric weights. Space is limited, so that would push up the cost of postage fopr something like that. But....on the flip side....would you want that lovely new tank and sidepanel set to spend a couple of months in a container sailing halfway round the world.....

Clearly I want to receive the parts in good order, but over £200 to post a tank seems way over the top!

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »
So.. what kind of tankset are you looking for? I have one in stock...

Looking for a Planet Blue set

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

Thank for the clarification Julie.

The actual VAT to be paid is still a bit of a mystry as the prices in Yen on the Yamyia site includes their 10% VAT which drop out or an overseas order. Also paying in Euros leaves you at the mercy of the exchange rate that the CC company use, which is usually much worse than the normal rate?

You say you pay the 10% VAT Japan rate at time of purchase but your orders are below the thresholds, what is the threshold?
£135.
Its all explained here:-
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 05:14:25 PM »
Thanks Julie.

Unfortunately a tank and side panel set takes it a bit of that threshold.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 05:31:51 PM »
Thanks Julie.

Indeed it does. Yamiya haven't had a K2 tank set in planet blue for about 6 months now, are they back in stock?. I know they have a K5 set in stock but that's the wrong decals for the K2.

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »
Thanks Julie.

Indeed it does. Yamiya haven't had a K2 tank set in planet blue for about 6 months now, are they back in stock?. I know they have a K5 set in stock but that's the wrong decals for the K2.

Looks like I got the last one from them?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »
Can you report back on the charges you get when it's delivered please. May need a set myself. Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
Can you report back on the charges you get when it's delivered please. May need a set myself. Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Will do.

I would advise that you check with your CC company what exchange rate they are using for the various currency's as you can pay in Yen, Euro or $'s at the time of purchase as it may make a difference as to what you actually pay.

I'm hopingthat it is just 20% VAT and a nominal handing charge?

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 12:02:24 PM »
https://www.cybike.co.uk/

Cybike are offering a 10% Discount and they sell Yamiya stuff. Might be worth calling them.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal