Author Topic: Crank case paint, again!!  (Read 2131 times)

Offline oldboy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Crank case paint, again!!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
Have made enquiries, but is very expensive. Have seen powder coated cases which look very nice and also because it's thicker so it covers the blemishes in the aluminum better than that  Cerakote, which is only microns thick.

Offline oldboy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
Nice stand by the way!!

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
I always worry about powder coating....both in terms of its heat handling ability over time, and the horrible issue of dealing with it if it cracks or flakes.

I would always paint rather than powder coat a frame, but I can see why people powder coat a frame.

Engines, however, would have lots of raw edges, where every gasket surface was, and thats usually where corrosion starts, working under the coating.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline oldboy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
My cases have been vapour blasted and thoroughly cleaned so I'm going the spray paint route with the paint suggested by "the nurse"!!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
As for our bikes, I don't like powder coating. First, I don't like the looks of it. It is so obvious for anyone to see that a frame has been 'powdered'. Then the problems it can bring when preparations have not been a 100%. Many had 'surprises' afterwards, when holes that should have been left open, have received a layer that involves extra labour to remove. What's wrong with some spray paint? I mean, Honda did it...
Also I don't like to paint my engine. A CB500? Notorious for oil sweating sooner or later, no matter what you have done. And once more... it's so obvious for anyone to see. Also I don't know what the consequences are for the temperature household.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
I generally prefer spray paint although I had my frame only powder coated - it was primarily to save the hard work of cleaning the old frame plus it was not that expensive locally - I also chose a colour that that I can touch in if needed as it's a known RAL code - yes it will not be perfect if touched in but doable.

Through sheer luck I have had no issues with fitting bolts etc - the bloke that did the job was a biker so where it was not masked up the powder coat was not sprayed inside holes etc. I would not powder coat any part of the engine.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »
Al, I ceracoted the 400 lump earlier in the year. Vapour blasted the granny out of it and had the lot ceracoted in clear. Looks great but no so bling as the factory fresh look of the SIMVHT31D

I love it but also love the factory fresh painted motors but this one was to be a more classic finish and we think it looks great. Cost me about 120 for all of it which I thought was rather cheap but I guess it depends where you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
Al, I ceracoted the 400 lump earlier in the year. Vapour blasted the granny out of it and had the lot ceracoted in clear. Looks great but no so bling as the factory fresh look of the SIMVHT31D

I love it but also love the factory fresh painted motors but this one was to be a more classic finish and we think it looks great. Cost me about 120 for all of it which I thought was rather cheap but I guess it depends where you go

Hi Roo

Who was the company you used please?

Best wishes Al

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 07:06:10 PM »
Cameleon vapour Blasting in Yeovil, i caught him on a good day hence the price. He does all my stuff now, he's a cracking chap. Should have been £300 with the carbs I think, top job.He's ceramic blacking the pipes for me at the min and vaping the carbs for Mejima while hes on with it.

www.chameleonvapourblasting.co.uk/

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2021, 07:24:18 PM »
Cameleon vapour Blasting in Yeovil, i caught him on a good day hence the price. He does all my stuff now, he's a cracking chap. Should have been £300 with the carbs I think, top job.He's ceramic blacking the pipes for me at the min and vaping the carbs for Mejima while hes on with it.

www.chameleonvapourblasting.co.uk/
Hi Roo

Thanks for the contact details

Not too far for me as in Swindon so think I will tap him after xmas and when I am back on me feet after my back operation next week

Have a good one

Best wishes Al

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
No worries Al, if yer coming down this way then come for a moan and a brew in the shed of doom, be good to see yer 8)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2021, 07:52:25 PM »
No worries Al, if yer coming down this way then come for a moan and a brew in the shed of doom, be good to see yer 8)
That sounds like a plan

Maybe see you in the spring

Best wishes and thanks for the invite Al

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal