Author Topic: Christmas Present Ideas with a 'bike theme!  (Read 1750 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Christmas Present Ideas with a 'bike theme!
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
..just thought it might be interesting to share and receive a few thoughts for seasonal gifts (I'm thinking low cost, so don't say ' 0-mile Sandcast, or similar!).

My starter for ten -
Stealing Speed book by Matt Oxley. All about two-stroke development in the Eastern Bloc by a chap called Walter Kaaden and how it was pinched by Ernst Degner who defected, stole the tech knowledge and helped Suzuki become a top two-stroke  manufacturer. Great read.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 04:30:40 PM by andy120t »
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Present Ideas with a 'bike theme!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
Book looks very interesting, a good idea certainly.

A contribution https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283101740928 vernier caliper with secondary adjustment carriage, you lock the secondary part and then turn the barrel to get it accurate in fitting what you are measuring, surprisingly precise compared to just single clamping. A very nice unassuming device, but very usable. 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 02:31:29 PM »
Sneaky putting Mitutoyo in the description though

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 07:05:41 PM »
Just read "A Bikers Life" by Henry Cole I never had him down as an old Etonian. Interesting read nonetheless.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
I'm with Ken on that one.

I have never seen anyone take a corner quite like Henry Cole, it's a wonder hes still alive as every time you see a pre rehersed corner shot in what ever he's on, it maes you wince.

He's been about a bit though, good on him 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 07:18:53 AM »
Just read "A Bikers Life" by Henry Cole I never had him down as an old Etonian. Interesting read nonetheless.

Sorry but Henry Cole is NOT a biker, he's something alright but a biker he isn't. Yes he rides a bike but there is more to being a biker than that, it's a frame of mind, it's a religion, it's loving the smell of Castrol R and the sound of a well tuned engine.

You are so very wrong Ken - read his book - do not go off his TV persona - he was biking from a very young age - it's in his DNA from early childhood - as was his drug addiction - you do not race a  Classic Brough on the Salt Flats unless you are an adrenaline junkie.

Only slight turn off for me is his Ffing & Blinding in some chapters.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:13:35 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »
I bought this book earlier this year .. not cheap but a fascinating insight into the last days of BSA and great info about Umberslade Hall and the BSA/Triumph Bandit/Fury DOHC twin that never reached full production.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSA-Motorcycles-evolution-Classic-Reprint/dp/1787115488/ref=asc_df_1787115488/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=372380634855&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5427028890496679777&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006816&hvtargid=pla-801650900535&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79041494520&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=372380634855&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5427028890496679777&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006816&hvtargid=pla-801650900535

This guy has a bunch of videos on his passion for the BSA Fury DOHC 350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfSl6NukaI

Also I recently visited a bloke in Hull who had a lovely 400/4, CB77, C72 etc . He had treated himself to a thermal imaging camera to check out exhausts when setting up his bikes. Sounds like a useful tool to have .. considering the price of 4 into 4 pipes and potential bluing. I must text him and ask him about the device he has. Or has anyone else used one on bikes?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:01:58 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Hi Ash,

Thermal imaging cameras that are any good are not cheap last time I looked  - it's a shame the inner two plugs are so recessed I always liked the old Colour Tune Plugs for setting up multiple carbed engines.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »
Just bought a colourtune Ted and with a biy or alterations, you can use it on the 400's for set up. Its a bit of a squeeze but it's doable. The biggest problem is getting hold of one, theyre like hens teeth at the minute and all stockists are showing zero stock. I bought one and managed to get the correct adapter from a pal up North but would have been waiting until March had I waited for my backorder to be forfilled.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »
Hi Ash,

Thermal imaging cameras that are any good are not cheap last time I looked  - it's a shame the inner two plugs are so recessed I always liked the old Colour Tune Plugs for setting up multiple carbed engines.

Last time I looked NOS Genuine HM300 pipes were £3k +  ;D . I will ask the guy which one  he bought. It may have only been a non-contacting IR thermometer.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »
Just bought a colourtune Ted and with a biy or alterations, you can use it on the 400's for set up. Its a bit of a squeeze but it's doable. The biggest problem is getting hold of one, theyre like hens teeth at the minute and all stockists are showing zero stock. I bought one and managed to get the correct adapter from a pal up North but would have been waiting until March had I waited for my backorder to be forfilled.

I borrowed mine on a long term loan (a few years) off a mate - I returned it to him - now he can't find it!
He used it on his Lotus Cortina in the 1960's. I assumed they were out of production good to hear you have one.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 11:02:15 AM »

Just listened to this as a freebie audiobook  (3 month free trial on Audible).

A real warts and all story .. he even admits he's been a real tw*t but you have to hand it to him picking himself up from the gutter and in the process bringing bike programmes/Sam Lovegrove & Allen Millyard to our TV  screens. His chapters on sheds is spot on IMHO. the audiobook has 300 hundred odd good ratings and no real negatives ... Give it a go Ken    ;D ;D.. The  free audio book I  got last month was John Cooper-Clarkes autobiography ... a Salford lad so you can't go wrong there Ken even though he never mentions Queens Park Motors in it  !  ;D

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/A-Bikers-Life-Audiobook/1787471071?qid=1639393079&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=c6e316b8-14da-418d-8f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=BGXA73RNT9MDRCD8J2W9

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »
Recommend Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon, a great book for the armchair motorcyclist adventurer. Can be found for less than £2 second hand.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 12:28:34 PM »

Just listened to this as a freebie audiobook  (3 month free trial on Audible).

A real warts and all story .. he even admits he's been a real tw*t but you have to hand it to him picking himself up from the gutter and in the process bringing bike programmes/Sam Lovegrove & Allen Millyard to our TV  screens. His chapters on sheds is spot on IMHO. the audiobook has 300 hundred odd good ratings and no real negatives ... Give it a go Ken    ;D ;D.. The  free audio book I  got last month was John Cooper-Clarkes autobiography ... a Salford lad so you can't go wrong there Ken even though he never mentions Queens Park Motors in it  !  ;D

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/A-Bikers-Life-Audiobook/1787471071?qid=1639393079&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=c6e316b8-14da-418d-8f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=BGXA73RNT9MDRCD8J2W9

I feel similar about Henry Cole, he's candid about his own shortcomings and lets others judge. Brings things to mainstream tv that generally lay outside common themes (soaps, sitcoms, panel shows etc) that make interesting material.  Perfect? Is any one, and would be boring if everything was found to be so. One man's perceived error can look superb to another observer   :) and vice a versa.

One of his best attributes is the appreciation of someone's skills in repairing or creation of items, and generosity of praise for those very real skills. All appears fine to me.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
Colortune, I've still got the one that I watched my father use on a B series 1800 BMC car when much younger, along with the fascination of "seeing" the combustion in there long before I could drive.

However, they only really give much insight to off load engine running conditions (not really possible to replicate full torque transient mixture conditions while standing still, unless dyno used) and would ordinarily be used for setting idle mixture on their target market vehicles.  Appears very limited use for these engines.

Temperature of exhaust outer material is similarly limited too, I believe. And for similar reasons of accuracy, even correctly running mixture at full load will heat the primary exhaust material way above blue temperature toward orange and why Honda chose to make their original pipes double skinned to prevent the outer showing this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal