Author Topic: 1977 CB 550 F Super Sport  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Tonyh

• View Profile
1977 CB 550 F Super Sport
« on: December 12, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
Hi everybody, After finally getting out on the bike i realised how poor the front brake is compared to a modern steed. The caliper adjustment is ok & no air in system, i think the problem lays with the hoses (feel spongy). Has anybody modified the caliper to take a banjo bolt instead of the existing metal pipe union. I have tried a set of Goodridge hoses (that they list for the bike), the top hose is too short & the bottom hose is too long plus the female union wont except the male union of the metal pipe. Goodridge just ignore you by not getting back to you. My idea is to replace both hoses with braided ones and do away with the metal pipe, hence question about tapping the caliper to take a banjo bolt.
Cheers, Tony.
PS, Apart from the front brake the bike runs well.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
1977 CB 550 F Super Sport
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »
Hi

I would chat to Venhill as they make one off custom hose assemblies with correct fittings and length that you request and are only to happy to help out with custom hoses requests

Maybe on here somebody will know the caliper thread size and then Venhill can supply the correct caliper adaptor and hose etc  like they did  for my rear disc CB400F conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 12:07:22 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 1977 CB 550 F Super Sport
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
I can make you pies any length and with any fittings, if you want a one piece pipe you will need a special banjo bolt with brake lightin it for the master and special fitting at caliper. PM with length and requirements and i will work out a price.

Wont make any difference to the brake opperation as you expecting too much from a 50 yr old desig

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »
Hi everybody, After finally getting out on the bike i realised how poor the front brake is compared to a modern steed. The caliper adjustment is ok & no air in system, i think the problem lays with the hoses (feel spongy). Has anybody modified the caliper to take a banjo bolt instead of the existing metal pipe union. I have tried a set of Goodridge hoses (that they list for the bike), the top hose is too short & the bottom hose is too long plus the female union wont except the male union of the metal pipe. Goodridge just ignore you by not getting back to you. My idea is to replace both hoses with braided ones and do away with the metal pipe, hence question about tapping the caliper to take a banjo bolt.
Cheers, Tony.
PS, Apart from the front brake the bike runs well.
That last line “apart from the front brake the bike runs well “

You could almost see that punch line in a first review of the bike in a magazine when it first came out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »
I bought braided hoses from HEL for my 400f. The long hose fitted straight into the caliper, doing away with the metal pipe.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »
Did the same on my 750F1 HEL line straight to the caliper.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal