Author Topic: Honda CB750K5 Restoration by Royhall  (Read 28080 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CB750K5 Restoration by Royhall
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2022, 05:49:56 PM »
How are you going to do the fly wheel torque up with the top end on ? This should be done by putting a bar through the con rod small ends to lock the engine  ;)
That would be with my large strap wrench around the rotor Trig. That's the way I do it when I change starter clutch rollers. Works okay. Just out of interest, how do you retighten the rotor after a starter clutch change. Surely you don't take the top end off?

The engine has gone in okay with item 3 pre fitted.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:48:07 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2022, 06:20:11 AM »
I use a locking tool and a torque air gun  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2022, 09:06:59 AM »
A long awaited large box has arrived today from Colin at Predator Motorsports. This was ordered last November (2021) with a £500 deposit and has just arrived (July). It contains one replica CB750K5 exhaust system. I was just beginning to get a bit concerned about it so today is a good day. You will notice that it's in a CMS box, that's due to Colin getting them made in Japan then supplying the big retailers such as Silvers and CMS. So it could just as easily been in a Silvers box. The delay was due entirely to shipping costs after the pandemic with the price of containers going through the roof. To be fair to Colin, he honoured the price given when ordering even though costs had increased so it came in cheaper than Silvers or CMS, but not by much.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I have started preparing for the engine install into the frame. I cant get a bike lift into the limited space in the garage, so as I normally do, the bike will be built up on the same adapted beer crate that I have used for all my previous builds. As every frame is different the crate needs changing to suit. On my 350F build I had to add a step to the top so the frame would sit straight, this time it needs a cut out to clear the side stand bracket. Three pieces of roof tile batten and a piece of plywood do the trick.

A bit of old carpet tacked to the top prevents the powder coating on the frame from being scratched.

Just as a precaution, I usually cover the frame in masking tape to prevent any dings whilst the engine is going in. The frame usually gets a gentle knock or two as the engine is a really close fit in the frame.

When I built the Black Bomber I laid the engine down on it's side on the workbench and lowered the frame over the engine and bolted it in. Then stood it upright on the bench and lifted it down onto the waiting beer crate myself. With the 750 there is no way I am going to attempt this myself as the engine is just too heavy for one (unless your an ape with hands like shovels). So I will wait until a mate calls round to help on Tuesday night.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:12:28 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »
Great progress Roy. Sorry I’ve not chimed in much here - but looks like you’re doing a superb job mate

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
Hi Roy,

Some photos of my DIY method of refitting the engine.

Slide the bike frame across the floor to the engine and adjust supporting straps to the correct height accordingly.
(I nicked this idea from the USA SOHC web site)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bT5X3iyGV89S47w26

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2022, 01:16:34 PM »
Roy - what's the latest on the K5 rebuild? Hope you're well..

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
Sorry I haven't been keeping the thread going recently I have been a bit unwell for the past 6 months or so. I won't bore you with the medical details. There has been progress on the 750 and it's definitely not an abandoned project.

Another issue is my PC decided to die at the worst possible moment so I have just built a new machine and hopefully it will be up and running in about a week from now. I considered getting up to date on my phone but realised it was just too difficult.

I don't think there will be much progress now until the weather gets warmer due to my medical issue, but as soon as the new PC is up and running I will update the thread to where I'm actually at.

Thanks for your concern James.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 01:55:52 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2022, 01:56:05 PM »
Sorry I haven't been keeping the thread going recently I have been a bit unwell for the past 6 months or so. I won't bore you with the medical details. There has been progress on the 750 and it's definitely not an abandoned project.

Another issue is my PC decided to die at the worst possible moment so I have just built a new machine and hopefully it will be up and running in about a week. I considered getting up to date on my phone but realised it was just too difficult.

I don't think there will be much progress now until the weather gets warmer due to myedical issue, but as soon as the new PC is up and running I will update the thread to where I'm actually at.

Thanks for your concern James.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Glad you're on the mend Roy and look forward to progress updates as and when. If you need any help with anything just drop me a Pm. James.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2023, 10:02:54 AM »
Morning all. Sorry this update has been so long coming, I will try to get it up to date as soon as I can. The new computer is now up and working well, the only hold up was trying to find a security chip to install Windows 11. I know there's a software workaround but I wanted to do it right as usual.

On the last post I was waiting for a friend to call to get the engine back into the frame. That went well without any problems. I used the tried and tested method of laying the engine down on it's side and lowering the frame over it. The worst part is getting the engine onto the floor, crikey those things weigh a bit. Sorry there's no pictures of this but it was a bit hard holding the frame and a camera.

As you can see in the photo's, anything that could be fitted after the engine was in the frame was left off. An attempt to keep the weight down for lifting. It was a surprisingly tight fit in the frame with almost zero wriggle room, not something I would like to try on my own. Next up I started fitting some of the engines bolt on bits like the exhaust sleeves using new gasket rings and NOS screws to replace the ones I had to drill out earlier.

I then had a change of direction and decided to get the swingarm sorted. The bushes were completely shot so I ordered a pair of one piece Phospher Bronze items of Nurse Julie (thanks). These simplify the process somewhat as it's a one piece part. The old bushes were quite easy to remove by carefully cutting along there length with a hacksaw then knocking them out with a drift. I also replaced the shock mount rubber bushes with NOS as the others were pressed out prior to powder coating.

Around that time my chroming came back from the guy who for various reasons can't be named on open forum (sorry). It looks like a very nice job considering the crap that I sent him, and all for £375. He even made a good job of the dented ignition cover (worth it's weight in gold). If you check the earlier post where I was sending the chroming out you can see the cover is close to a write off. Impressive.

I am a way off needing the chrome bits yet but it is good to know that it's back and a good job. Next thing to do is to continue collating the receipts and getting them all into a file. Not sure at this point how much I have spent on this project, but I have a feeling it's more than I will be comfortable with. More soon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:10:09 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »
The chrome work looks very good especially at that price.
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2023, 11:38:25 AM »
Looks great Roy, exciting times! That chrome plating sounds very cheap.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »
Yep the chrome plating did work out cheaper than I expected. I very much doubt he would do it again at that price though.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Coming along well.
Does that clutch basket slide in easy as, the early 750's are easy to get in but the later engines had a interference fit and need to be pressed on the shaft while the engine is apart  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2023, 01:11:55 PM »
It was a bit half way, it didn't go on easy but it wasn't a press fit either sort of a really firm push.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »
Got a few more bits fitted. The clutch assembly went back together okay using new friction plates and cleaned up original steel plates. The steel plates were checked on a surface plate and were found to be completely flat which was nice. The clutch basket is the one from the spare engine as it was like new, but to be fair the original was only slightly worn. At the same visit I also fitted the alternator and used a new sub harness as the original had hard and cracked insulation. I also required a NOS casing as the original was beyond saving with a hole where it had hit the road at some point that was filled with Araldite. The points cover is just a temporary old damaged one that I got off eBay for £3 in order to lay the engine on it's side to fit the frame.

I also fitted the new carb rubbers (don't they slip on easily when new). You will note from the photo that I was unable to source enough zinc plated clips. The outers are plated but the centre two are black. I'm hoping they will not be easily spotted once the tank is on, plus maybe some will show up before it's finished. I'm quite happy with it to be honest not looking too bad at all.

I would normally assemble the front end first whilst it's still on the box as it's easier to handle with the front weighted down. But due to a need to get on with it whilst waiting for some bits I did the back end. It was a bit of a fight to get the swingarm in the frame and had to remove some pretty thick powder coating. The problem was that when the bolt was fully tightened the arm went stiff to move, but I got there in the end. I should probably have removed all of the powder coating behind the bushes before fitting the arm, which I may still do at some point. I built up and fitted the rear brake, shocks, and drive chain at the same time.

Once the drive chain was on that allowed me to finish fitting all the engine cases. The next problem was the grab rail. As mine was missing I sourced a pattern part but unfortunately they only appear to do a rail for the older bikes (up to K2 I think). This is fitted with indicator mounts for the much slimmer stems of the older bike. The challenge now is to find a way to fit the later thick stems to the older bracket, but I will find a way that wont be noticed (except I just told you all so the games up).  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:43:06 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal