Author Topic: Advance unit springs  (Read 658 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Advance unit springs
« on: January 02, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »
Hi,
Spent a happy few hours trying to clean up the advance / retard unit for the CJ360 which was a bit sticky to start with.
All clean and shiny but still doesn't seem to 'snap' back very reassuringly so I think the springs may be knackered.

Does anyone know if you can get replacement springs for these units?

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Advance unit springs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »
Nope, but on the US board it seems common to cut 1 turn off the 750 and as they go full advance at about 2700 rpm and you are lucky if the cj will pull below that i dont see it as a problem.
Ask Hondaman(Mark Paris) on the US site but remember they neverhad the 250 version of the twins over there

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Advance unit springs
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 09:21:39 AM »
Thanks Bryan,
Had a look at the forum and might give it a go cutting the spring back a bit - maybe once engine is back running so I can check the operation properly.
I did find a German company selling springs for the CB350 - 750 online but guess they would be different to the CJ ones.
Also have one last set of points on a spare engine so I'll check those next before getting deeper into modification work.

I wasn't sure how specific the spring rating was to each model or if new ones were available anywhere as I guess it's a common issue with old points ignition.

Cheers,
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal