Author Topic: Newbie from West Midlands  (Read 3522 times)

Offline FlyinPhil

• Potestatum Obscuri Lateris Nescis
    • View Profile
Newbie from West Midlands
« on: January 03, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »
Hi, just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. I'm Phil and from the village of Wall Heath in the West Midlands. We purchased a 1977 CB550F last May and so far I've stripped it to its component parts and in the process of the rebuild into a very mild cafe style bike. We still want to retain the option of converting it back to stock in the future so no frame cutting or grinding here.
Bike was a fresh import from California in 2020 and was in overall excellent shape, but just needed freshening up.
Attached is the photo of how it looked last May and how it looks as of this morning. Please be gentle, it's my first bike restoration and a hell of a learning curve but its so far alot of fun, even though its caught me out a couple times already!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
1977 CB550F
"She's built like a Steakhouse, but handles like a Bistro."

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from West Midlands
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
Welcome aboard matey. Looks like a good starting point and work done so far tidy! Loads of knowledge here and don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how stupid you may think they may be!!

Got a good friend not too far from you in Kinver.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 02:01:55 PM »
Looking good - are those powder coated original rims?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 02:05:05 PM »
Welcome aboard matey. Looks like a good starting point and work done so far tidy! Loads of knowledge here and don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how stupid you may think they may be!!

Got a good friend not too far from you in Kinver.

Thanks Tim, rest assured I will bleeding this place dry for all the help I can get, I think I'm going to need it! Kinver is a lovely little village, we go there regularly for walks.
1977 CB550F

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 02:06:28 PM »
Looking good - are those powder coated original rims?
Yeah, the budget didn't stretch to new wheels unfortunately but they seem to have turned out pretty well.
1977 CB550F

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum Phil, I'm pleased you joined us.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Phil, I'm pleased you joined us.
Thanks for the invite, I hadn't realised there was a UK based forum so the heads up is appreciated.  :)
1977 CB550F

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 06:04:20 PM »

Welcome to the forum and have fun. It looks like you are nicely under way. :)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 07:18:18 PM »
Clean the frame of powder coat round the areas the harness uses for earthing. The upper left hand engine hanger and the front upper mounting point for the coils are the 2 main ones.

Check the rear drum liner carefully for cracking, they are renowned for that. You can get them relined however.

Look at the coil leads, see if they've gone hard and brittle, if so think about doing the Ashimoto mod (search the forum) on them rather than buying new ones.

Are you using the fork ears? if not contact Laverdaroo as he's looking for a decent pair. (aren't we all  ;D ;D ;D) He's also after a decent chainguard if your not using that.

I have quite a few bits for the 500/550 if your looking for some stuff.

Welcome BTW. What paint scheme are you thinking of.

Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »
Hi Oddjob, thanks for the info and advice, it's really appreciated.  :)

We wanted to keep all the original parts if we ever wanted to convert it back to original. We've been pretty lucky with it as all has been in pretty great condition, even the forks just needed a bit of wire wool and came up almost like new.

Coil leads seem good but when the engine is in, hopefully by end of Feb/March I'll turn my attention to the electrics.

We were going with Old English White tank, side covers and headlight cowl rim and dark brown leather single seat. We also have an MGB which in this colour scheme and we wanted them to match. It looks great in my head, let's just hope that translates to reality!
1977 CB550F

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 07:52:19 PM »
No problem, always worth an ask.

The indicators BTW are for the USA market, not sure if your using them on the build but if you are you could consider going back to the UK spec ones, just look at any pic of a UK 550 and you'll see what I mean. The USA market also got a different right hand switchgear, there is no headlight flasher switch like the UK one, it's just a horn button and not a combined flasher/horn combined. You may also find the indicators are running lights, not allowed over here but easy to disconnect.

The grab rail looks wrong, it should be much higher at the back, or it could be the seat is sitting far too high at the back,  tail light bracket was black in the Uk not chrome. None of these is detrimental to the bike, it's just info you may not know.

Any pics of the left side, if it still has the original exhaust that's a BIG bonus and they are rare and expensive to buy.

I have a couple of NOS rear brake levers if yours is damaged or really rusty.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 08:35:15 PM »
No we won't use the indicators on this build as they attach to the fork ears, which again will just be stored for now.
Right, very useful to know, I was not aware of the switch gear etc. Rear fender/tail light bracket will also not be used but useful to know the differences so thanks.

When it comes to the wiring I am going to buy a complete new loom, should I go for the UK spec loom or US if there are these electrical differences?
1977 CB550F

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »
As Ken said a UK version rh switch is a good idea as it will allow yoi to turn the ligts off, the yanks had this wonderfull idea of always on lights to ruin your battery and empty your pocket.UK and US looms are the same its the switches that vary

Offline FlyinPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
OK sound, thanks very much. Saves me restoring the switch gear which has been ravaged by the Californian sun.

Can't believe how many little differences there are between the two markets. Mental.
1977 CB550F

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 09:42:22 PM »
Clean the frame of powder coat round the areas the harness uses for earthing. The upper left hand engine hanger and the front upper mounting point for the coils are the 2 main ones.

Check the rear drum liner carefully for cracking, they are renowned for that. You can get them relined however.

Look at the coil leads, see if they've gone hard and brittle, if so think about doing the Ashimoto mod (search the forum) on them rather than buying new ones.

Are you using the fork ears? if not contact Laverdaroo as he's looking for a decent pair. (aren't we all  ;D ;D ;D) He's also after a decent chainguard if your not using that.

I have quite a few bits for the 500/550 if your looking for some stuff.

Welcome BTW. What paint scheme are you thinking of.

Welcome and what a good starting point!

And, yes I am 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal