Author Topic: Swinging arm spindle bolt  (Read 799 times)

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Swinging arm spindle bolt
« on: January 24, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
Anybody know what material swinging arm spindles bolts are made of? I may need to make a longer one for a 750 kawasaki project Im working on if I can’t find one from another bike. I did think of using En16, thanks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:57:41 AM by 4wDaz »
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Swinging arm spindles
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 10:23:36 AM »
I cant say what metal it is only the longest bolt is the 750F2 i think as it goes through the alloy footrest hangers.
It isnt a spindle that the arm pivots on though, just a bolt to clamp the collar that is the pivot

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Swinging arm spindles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 11:11:21 AM »
Anybody know what material swinging arm spindles are made of? I may need to make a longer one for a 750 kawasaki project Im working on if I can’t find one from another bike. I did think of using En16, thanks

I doubt if it exceeds EN8 in properties, with that or 16 being the most probable.  Although it's in a loaded situation that could use a particular spec, the original cross section seems to be made large enough to avoid any particular requirements in high capacity tensile loading.
In other words, looks big enough not to really matter too much. Higher tensile specification would give the option of waisting the centre unused portion of the bolt to save weight if you needed that, not less than the root thread diameter though.

The original manufacture seems to have the bolt head "forged" into shape rather than the overall diameter being machined down with consequent wastage in manufacturing.  You'd need to make sure of clean competent radius from shank to head plane to avoid significant stress raiser there.

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Swinging arm spindle bolt
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies,I just found a bloke on eBay listing a used rear wheel spindle for a suzuki 750 with the same dimensions as I require for £18, unfortunately it has the holes drilled in for split pins which I don’t want, he put the part number in the listing so I was able to find a genuine suzuki part from a later model without the holes (they changed to a lock nut on later models) for £20. Im no metallurgists but I would assume a wheel spindle would be suitable for a swing arm spindle bolt?
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Swinging arm spindle bolt
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:16:11 PM »
Essentially the same thing done by both, the wheel is usually at higher torque generally.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal