Author Topic: DSS Prices on the rise?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
DSS Prices on the rise?
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:04:01 PM »
Just noticed DSS seems to have applied a blanket price increase across all parts on the site? Anyone else noticed this?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 12:24:06 PM by JamesH »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: DSS Prices on the rise?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:24 PM »
Yes James, we noticed as well. The points covers for the 750's that were approx £50 previously are now £360 😱😱😱😱😱
My ebay / Facebook / Forum parts sales have gone through the roof though as I haven't put up prices and they were a lot cheaper anyway 😊😊😊 I only hold about 0.1% of the stock that DS does though so I don't think he's worrying about my low prices 😁😁😁
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:10:54 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 07:09:28 PM »
Noticed the 4/4 pipes for the 500 had nudged up another ton since I last looked. And then sold quite a few sets straight AFTER in the last week to boot.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 07:59:24 AM »
Hated the firm from day one always been a rip off merchant.
I would only buy from him as an absolute last resort.
It's actually cheaper to import from Yamiya and pay all the capture duty than to buy the same parts from him, how can that be unless he is ripping us off.
Rant over  >:(
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 08:04:17 AM »
On second thoughts while i'm on a rant.
When you have 60 oil filters for sale on eBay please list them once, and put 60 available to save me having to scroll past 60 of your Chinese crap filters.
Now I'm off to work  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:47:08 AM by paul G »
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:02:07 AM »
It's actually cheaper to import from Yamiya and pay all the capture duty than to buy the same parts from him, how can that be unless he is ripping us off.

That's  a bit harsh IMHO .. without him, many of us would never have had found the elusive NOS parts he has unearthed over the years. I always buy from him and never directly bought a single item from CMS ... If I ever see anything at CMS I just get DS to order it in and for a small order it's always cheaper than than paying all of the shipping  fees  from CMS . Granted, Yamiya stuff can be cheaper, particularly for me, as I have a guy in Japan buying for me  but they sadly only do CB750 & CB400F parts.

There are gems to be had too if you dig deep enough in his stock inventory. I took a punt on 10 NOS CB250  'fat' cams he had last year .... I kept two off them for my own use and made enough profit selling the others to pay for a £350 chroming bill. That's called 'beating him at his own game',  in my book  ;D

If you meet him too  he's quite a nice bloke to talk to and very approachable. But don't try and get an extra discount or trade account from him, as he won't budge on that. I have negotiated well  on damaged stock he's had for sale in the past though. I always loved
UKPete on here's comment, which  myself and the  missus now quote about other tight-ar*es we meet.....  'He wouldn't even give you the steam off his own p*ss'
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »

That's  a bit harsh IMHO .. without him, many of us would never have had found the elusive NOS parts he has unearthed over the years. I always buy from him and never directly bought a single item from CMS ... If I ever see anything at CMS I just get DS to order it in and for a small order it's always cheaper than than paying all of the shipping  fees  from CMS . Granted, Yamiya stuff can be cheaper, particularly for me, as I have a guy in Japan buying for me  but they sadly only do CB750 & CB400F parts.

There are gems to be had too if you dig deep enough in his stock inventory. I took a punt on 10 NOS CB250  'fat' cams he had last year .... I kept two off them for my own use and made enough profit selling the others to pay for a £350 chroming bill. That's called 'beating him at his own game',  in my book  ;D

If you meet him too  he's quite a nice bloke to talk to and very approachable. But don't try and get an extra discount or trade account from him, as he won't budge on that. I have negotiated well  on damaged stock he's had for sale in the past though. I always loved
UKPete on here's comment, which  myself and the  missus now quote about other tight-ar*es we meet.....  'He wouldn't even give you the steam off his own p*ss'
Fair enough Ash but how can he justify a complete blanket increase on stock he has had for months and years  ;) new stock maybe.
And how can you justify this, The points covers for the 750's that were approx £50 previously are now £360
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:14:59 PM by paul G »
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
I have a LOT of 500/550/650 shell bearings, I often wonder if I offered them to DS how much he'd offer me for them and then how much he'd then sell them for. I'm not talking greens and browns but the rarer blacks and yellows.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 01:33:30 PM »
I have a LOT of 500/550/650 shell bearings, I often wonder if I offered them to DS how much he'd offer me for them and then how much he'd then sell them for. I'm not talking greens and browns but the rarer blacks and yellows.

Not a lot from what I can gather and he would probably offer credit notes to spend with him as payment. ..that's what he had done with a few people who make things and he sells as pattern parts. I would sell the shells on eBay
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
I'll wait then Ash, I have a price in mind for each shell and when they start selling for that amount regularly I'll sell them.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 02:06:06 PM »
Don’t wait too long or you will be exchanging them for batteries  ;D.

I’m rebuilding the 500 motor this year, shall I approach you for shells?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
I only collect shells which are scarce, like blacks and yellows and only for the 500/550/650. I do have some greens and browns but limited and mainly for my own use as those are the colours mine uses, if when I take it apart it doesn't need them I'll sell them on I think.

Browns are on special order at DS and he no longer has any stock of greens, he still lists them at £16 a shell but I'm betting that will increase a lot when and if he can source any more.

I think I have approaching a 100 shells, most mains and some big ends. All bagged and sealed except for a couple of black mains I got from Australia. Even got some in pairs in boxes, never seen that before the Aussie stuff arrived. I bought 3 black main shells this week, 2 from Italy and 1 in the UK. Average price was £23 a shell.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 07:55:13 PM »
To his credit and back in 1989 when I was restoring my yellow 400/4 I called DSS and asked if he was open yet as he had just moved into the huge warehouse he now occupies in Suffolk. He said although he wasn't yet open for trade I could pop down so I jumped in the car and went over even though it was a three hour drive. When I got there he and a couple of others were busy unpacking crate upon crate of parts and he was clearly very busy. He asked me what parts I wanted so I gave him a list, a very long list and we marched around the warehouse collecting the parts in a big cardboard box. For every part he picked up I asked him how much it was but he couldn't be sure. These were not just small parts but also big items such as complete wheels, full exhaust system, complete factory painted fuel tank with the petcock and filler cap on it, sidepanels, complete kickstart, seat, toolkit etc. All the parts were genuine Honda and in Honda bags and boxes. I was there for a good couple of hours and Dave was very chatty.

At the end of the treasure hunt I asked Dave how much it had all come to but as he was really busy he didn't have time to work it all out and just said a figure that was well, well below what it should have been, I dont think he realised exactly what had gone into the big cardboard box I was dragging around! I just agreed straight away and gave him a fistful of cash, my memory doesn't go back to the exact figure but I know I took £400 with me and came back with well over £100 and a lot more parts than what I went for (front and back wheels, mudguards and full exhaust system were all the bonus parts).
I've always bought parts from Dave after that, I knew him when he operated from a garage on big housing estate in Wembley.

Hats off to him, he obviously has a passion for old Honda's and if it wasn't for him my original 400/4 would have ended up in a skip.

I do agree though with Paul G, it's a bit naughty to be vastly inflating prices of stock already on the shelves but..........how much has the value of these parts increased in line with the increase in the value of complete machines and he does have staff to pay so yes a small increase is justifiable but not 300-400%.
I have managed to negotiate a bit of a dicount with him at shows if I have bought a few items, maybe only a fiver off but he's not as hard as stone.
I do wish he would reduce his delivery costs though, how can a jiffy bag containing a couple of O-rings cost the same to post as a complete exhaust system!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 10:29:46 PM »
I remember buying a genuine CB1100RB carbon fibre fairing and seat unit of him for not a lot of money in the 90's - think how much that would be now!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 06:47:36 PM »
On the same subject I bought some genuine Honda parts last night, I decided to buy 4 and maybe sell a couple on as they were cheaper than even buying them in the UK. So I bought 4 and the price of the rest went up immediately, now that's exploitation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal