Author Topic: Tips sought for finishing the Cover, Dynamo  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Tips sought for finishing the Cover, Dynamo
« on: January 20, 2022, 11:15:16 AM »
Freshly polished, but now the black background to go in (behind the HONDA letterings). Any tips wrt best paint type and getting a good / crisp result pls?

Next up, these polished engine covers - what is the best / most durable lacquer?

Ta.
Simon.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Tips sought for finishing the Cover, Dynamo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:25:36 AM »
We don't lacquer after polishing Simon. Just a wipe over once a year with Solvol and they stay looking great.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 11:37:07 AM »
Black infill.

Acetone and toothbrush. Use  BMW black touch up pen (I use the ones from the Range). Just use the applicator using the ‘dot and dab’ technique. The paint will run and self level.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:10:23 PM »
I find laquer is all fine and dandy when it's brand new, once you get stone chips etc it starts to fester and craze under the laquer, just like new bikes did did back in the day. So no, I don't bother, but keep on top of it if it starts to go spotty, don't put the bike away without washing it if it gets wet, especially if the dreaded road salt is around.

I roughly mask around the area where the black needs to go, and spray it all with Simonize satin black. I let it partially dry, then carefully wipe off the letters and edges with a cloth damp with thinners or brake cleaner. here's my CL450 cover, though I had to repolish it before I was happy.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:14:26 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:10:21 PM »
Rough mask and paint as suggested with Simoniz or other engine paint. Allow to dry fully. Use a small wood block with 1200 grit wet and dry with soapy water to remove all the paint from the top surface then polish carefully using solvol and a cloth backed up with the same wood block or if you have one a polishing machine and buffing wheels. You will not remove the dried paint in the recessed areas if you are careful

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 06:24:59 AM »
I use the dot n dab method. Seems to work fine and avoids the masking and rubbing effort. You do need a fairly steady hand. I find the automotive touch up paints more durable than the acrylic type.

Just my opinion, but at least you now have choices.

The photos show a before and after treatment and before a final finessing.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 07:59:56 AM »
Thanks all; knew the forum would have an answer!

Being the lazy type (ie leaving the casing on the bike), and not wishing to ‘unbalance’ the polished finish vs neighbouring casings, I went the spray + wipe clean (whilst wet) route - with a great result. Used the flat of a wooden lolly stick wrapped in a single layer of thinners damp cloth - and presto. Got 3 coats on…

Many thanks - oh and to you too Julie… another lazy win!
Yahoo!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal