Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Consensus on home plating.

(1/6) > >>

Lobo:
I’m currently dismantling the 750 K2 as she’s long due a major refresh. Tonight I dismantled the carbs (& main plate) into their component bits, and sighed at the thought of (a) finding a good / reliable / cheap plater, and (b) endless bloody trips to & fro as the project progresses and (c) the inevitable loss of screws, and worse, non-replaceable parts in that process.
So…. have been looking at home plating kits (zinc initially)… not cheap on the face of it, but maybe so with endless wee parts. Saw UK Pete’s great write up on the Sandcast Only Forum - he had nothing but praise for home plating.
Consensus please - can I expect reliable and professional results, or can it all be a bit hit and miss? One factor I have to consider is that we’re ‘off grid’ as it were with Rainwater tank only, and septic tank - ie no formal drainage / town sewage system. We’re on seawater front… all ground water flows directly into the sea - bottom line I can’t easily dispose of the fluids on the property. Thoughts?
Ta.

philward:
I've had good results for several years. If you have the space to store the various buckets so you can just get the whole set of them out when plating (as opposed to making up each time). Once you are using to the order of the process, it's easy - and I've had good results.
I've only changed the main solution once and put it in an old plastic oil container and take it to the local council recycling centre with my old oil (I wouldn't put anything like that down the main drains)

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Orcade-Ian:
I've had great results over almost 20 years with kits and consumables from Gateros.  No connection with the company but very satisfied with their service.  I did a brief write up for the VJMC mag (Tansha) years ago and Gateros had it on their site a while back.

As with any finishing process the key ingredients are preparation and cleanliness.  Garbage in - garbage out.  The greatest advantage is that you have total control - no loss of parts except for an occasional special nut that flies out of the pliers when you are holding it to the wire wheel!  Been there, done that, now use the T shirt for polishing as it shrunk in the wash!  Turn around time is up to you for a change.

Seriously, it's a time consuming labour intensive job but unbelievably satisfying.

Ian

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/Engineering/Zinc%20Plating.htm

haynes66:
gateros kits come in various forms - with or without power supply etc.  any advice/suggestions of which is best/can i use an alternative poer supply etc

pete

philward:

--- Quote from: haynes66 on January 24, 2022, 04:05:13 PM ---gateros kits come in various forms - with or without power supply etc.  any advice/suggestions of which is best/can i use an alternative poer supply etc

pete

--- End quote ---

I use an old battery charger with the variable current control that came with the kit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version