Author Topic: Consensus on home plating.  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Consensus on home plating.
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »
I’m currently dismantling the 750 K2 as she’s long due a major refresh. Tonight I dismantled the carbs (& main plate) into their component bits, and sighed at the thought of (a) finding a good / reliable / cheap plater, and (b) endless bloody trips to & fro as the project progresses and (c) the inevitable loss of screws, and worse, non-replaceable parts in that process.
So…. have been looking at home plating kits (zinc initially)… not cheap on the face of it, but maybe so with endless wee parts. Saw UK Pete’s great write up on the Sandcast Only Forum - he had nothing but praise for home plating.
Consensus please - can I expect reliable and professional results, or can it all be a bit hit and miss? One factor I have to consider is that we’re ‘off grid’ as it were with Rainwater tank only, and septic tank - ie no formal drainage / town sewage system. We’re on seawater front… all ground water flows directly into the sea - bottom line I can’t easily dispose of the fluids on the property. Thoughts?
Ta.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:33:06 PM by Lobo »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Consensus on home plating.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
I've had good results for several years. If you have the space to store the various buckets so you can just get the whole set of them out when plating (as opposed to making up each time). Once you are using to the order of the process, it's easy - and I've had good results.
I've only changed the main solution once and put it in an old plastic oil container and take it to the local council recycling centre with my old oil (I wouldn't put anything like that down the main drains)

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »
I've had great results over almost 20 years with kits and consumables from Gateros.  No connection with the company but very satisfied with their service.  I did a brief write up for the VJMC mag (Tansha) years ago and Gateros had it on their site a while back.

As with any finishing process the key ingredients are preparation and cleanliness.  Garbage in - garbage out.  The greatest advantage is that you have total control - no loss of parts except for an occasional special nut that flies out of the pliers when you are holding it to the wire wheel!  Been there, done that, now use the T shirt for polishing as it shrunk in the wash!  Turn around time is up to you for a change.

Seriously, it's a time consuming labour intensive job but unbelievably satisfying.

Ian

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/Engineering/Zinc%20Plating.htm

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:05:13 PM »
gateros kits come in various forms - with or without power supply etc.  any advice/suggestions of which is best/can i use an alternative poer supply etc

pete
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:24:07 PM »
gateros kits come in various forms - with or without power supply etc.  any advice/suggestions of which is best/can i use an alternative poer supply etc

pete

I use an old battery charger with the variable current control that came with the kit
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 06:56:14 PM »
so is it zinc or nickel you use?
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 07:09:40 PM »
so is it zinc or nickel you use?

Its zinc
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »
many thanks. i know the price of zinc plating isnt very expensive but i guess it would add up if i restore two or three bikes.  i'll give it a shot
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:16:33 PM »
As I have said on previous post Pete, I like it as I do the zincing as I build the bike up - i.e. as I build a set of carbs, I zinc the metal work (as opposed to waiting to get sufficient parts together to make it economical to send to the zinc platers, and then risk losing bits)
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 11:56:29 AM »
Thanks all - it seems a thumbs up for home zinc plating.
Can anyone suggest how best to finish the highlighted parts in the pics?
And the ‘main plate’ - should I simply polish it?
Ta,
Simon

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »
As someone who knows a lot about polishing I'd advise against polishing the main plate, far too many little nooks and crannys for it to turn out well, you'd end up with a patchwork of bright and dull areas. I'd advise either spraying in colour of your choice or powder coating, powder coating is far more robust as you'll know and easier to keep clean.

For the linkages, either polish or paint the same colour as the main plate.

I've got a zinc/nickel kit but as yet I haven't used it as some of the parts aren't ready to be done and as it's a space problem I want to do the parts in one go over a few days so I can then store the tubs in the loft out of the way.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
Just to add to Ian’s recommendations, very rewarding, cost affective and satisfying. Use containers with lids then store away until next use. No need to dispose of any liquids for a long time. Had a few projectiles off the wire wheel until I started using self grips.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
On the several bikes I've restored over the years the one area I've never been happy with is carb linkages, I've always ended up carefully painting parts silver, while looking in envy at bikes where everything has been apart and plated like new - it's one of the first things I look at! (sad I know).

When I've had parts chrome and zinc plated one thing I always come up against is a minimum job cost from platers (£45 + VAT the last one I asked) - I can understand why they don't want to bother with 10p to plate a screw or something, so I am quite interested in DIY plating next time I do a bike. It must be quite satisfying to watch a part slowly become shiny and new looking again.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 11:56:32 PM »
If I could turn back time I would have bought a plating kit rather than get my engine bolts plated locally - still plenty of time to justify one for 2022/23
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »
I have been DIY plating bike parts for getting on for 35 years,  starting with nickel plating parts before zinc kits were readily available.

I have had and (still have ) great results but it's a lot of messing about ... not so much on the plating itself but on the prep. required to achieve the levels of finish achieved by the ptofessional plating companies.

If I too could turn the clocks back, I would have found a reliable company, early on, that used to do a shoe  box full of parts for next to nothing. Sadly, places like Allenchrome, who I used to use... won't do small batches anymore. So to get parts done locally there is nobody I know of and hence, reluctantly,   I am back to doing it myself .... yes , very satisfying and great for small bits that are rocking-horse-poo and you can't possibly afford to lose or need in rush or forgot to send to the platers but still a load of messing about.

To make my point, looking back at the picture below from 5 years back, I has this batch done professionally for  about £50. Try estimating the time to home-plate this lot ! Plus you would be shelling out about the same amount of money , if not more, for chemicals/anodes/de-ionised water etc.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:28:45 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal