Author Topic: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please  (Read 21544 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2022, 06:02:12 PM »
Thats an absolute stunner, well done that man!

Dont worry about the money Simon, you could have bought something for the house! Thats a far better use of your dosh ;D ;D
Now where have I heard that before. ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2022, 08:25:08 PM »
Yes agree! Lovely bike and vibrant colour, credit to you Simon. Enjoy the ride hard works over.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2022, 11:10:23 AM »
Looks absolutely lovely Simon, a testament to your chasing all the details and accuracy from researching etc.

All the better to ride around now after the hard work and cost.

Nigel.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2022, 11:30:54 AM »
Thanks gents.. I kind of figured all to do with equalising pressures etc, but given they’re so far down the system and practically next to the atmospheric opening I was having trouble believing they did much. Would a larger diameter pipe / and or a cross-connector near the head not perform better wrt scavenging active pressure?

Interesting topic as to what's going on in exhaust system.

Remembering from schoolboy physics Newton's third law " to each action there's an equal and opposite reaction" or similar, when the exhaust pulse exits the end of the pipe (this is the most prominent junction) that "pop" causes negative pressure wave to travel backwards up the pipe toward the combustion chamber, effectively helping to clear the pipe as further gases are flowing into a vacuum of varying power.

Length of pipe controls when the pulse arrives at combustion chamber, with long pipes that's at lower rpm and so affects the base regions of the rpm range.
A single pipe (no connection) will likely be tuned to most assist combustion chamber clearing just above idle and around normal low speed running. Joining them together can induce pulse from it's piped pair and may improve the cylinder clear while it's idling by getting that inverse pulse to the combustion chamber just about as the exhaust valve is closing, this improves dynamic cylinder filling as it pulls a more clean start vacuum to incoming mixture.

Shorter pipe as headers go from straight into silencer flair location will work at increased rpm, most likely as the power is really getting going and probably covers the peak torque.

Bore/flow etc at maximum rpm is more usually straight volume effectively.

Right up close to the heads is probably out of range for the road engines as the pulse arrives over that short distance almost instantly. This is probably more useful on very high rom engines with big flow requirements like atmospheric formula one engines.

Put simplest, long thin exhaust dimensions favour lowest speed cylinder efficiency assistance, short fat the highest rpm use.

The realisation that this does also work with 4 into 1 systems (understanding the links that are useful) moved bikes more that way. Still the best system for a four cylinder use 4 into 2 into one with tailored primary and secondary bore/length to tune these same linked aspects that the four cross linked originals accomplish.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2022, 12:25:17 PM »
Um… wow Nigel, thanks. Will need a couple of rereads (!) to better fathom it all. Full disclosure, I view ICEs as dinosauric (think I just made that word up) and well past their sell by date. Fair do’s though, the engineering & technical brilliance that has evolved along the route has been resourceful & incredible.
Fingers crossed we can now see the same brilliance wrt electrical energy storages. (& nope, not intending to rile folk / kick off some new thread 😂)
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:44:21 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2022, 12:42:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words upon completion of the K2 - appreciated.

No comments as to the deletion of the pillion footrests … it’s an Oz thing. Over here (QLD at least), there is no annual MOT, rather a ‘Roadworthy’ test is only required at every change of ownership (£60 thereabouts). There is however a stiff annual Registration fee which includes CTP (compulsory third party) insurance - and this goes into a state pot to take care of all road accident hospital fees - life changing care costs included. Whether an individual decides to then go out and buy further insurances … theft, fire, liability etc  … is entirely up to him.
Long winded, sorry… but if you declare the machine will never carry a pillion you can lessen that CTP figure significantly, in which case you have to remove the footrests. (My solo CPTs circa now £260 each - ugh)

Anyways, tbh, it took me a while, but on balance I reckon I prefer the above to what we have in the UK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal