SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please

<< < (2/53) > >>

Lobo:
And cylinder head now!

Ok, released all 16 nuts in the prescribed manner, and iaw my manual the head did not lift off.

Boll**cks - the single bolt above the tensioner! Ah, and the 4 hidden bolts beneath the rubber plugs - ie shown in Red. (not mentioned in the book.)

The cylinder head still refuses to separate from the cylinder block, and rather than get all physical I’ve decided to walk away for now. The mating area is currently soaking in WD40…

What am I missing here - no give apparent, it’s as though yet more fasteners are awaiting to be released!

Ta.

Trigger:
The cam shaft and the cam towers have been modified in the past, due to the oil jets have blocked so, no oil to the cam and it cooked.
There are so many different cam shafts fitted to the 750 and too many different measurements / spec but, as above the cam shaft has been cooked so expect lots of damage to the lobs.

All the bolts are out and it is not usual for the head gasket to be stuck. Heat the head a little but, not too much as the heat can easy damage the valve springs and place a soft length of wood up the barrel sleeve and a good whack with a mallet  ;)

Manuals for these bikes is only good for the fire to keep warm  ::) 

Lobo:
Thanks Trig. Got the head & block finally separated - nail biting.

The cam news is disappointing - I’m no engineer but it doesn’t look terribly alarming. I’ve had this CB for 10 yrs now, and it’s never given me pause for thought wrt performance, undue noises, vibration, swarf in the oil etc.

So, I’m at a crossroads - spend £500+ on used parts to correct, or put it all back bearing in mind the bike will only likely do 1000 miles pa.

All thoughts welcome.

(How do the earlier cam carriers differ? Can I fit K0 / K1 / early K2 carriers to a 1973 #2241656 engine? Part # 12010-300-20 / - 30 / -40 … with my bike the -40)

Bryanj:
All carriers will interchange, back in the 70's we used to have a man who re-engineered the journals and made split, pegged bronze bushes. As long as lobes were not blue they always ran ok afterwards

philward:
All carriers will interchange, back in the 70's we used to have a man who re-engineered the journals and made split, pegged bronze bushes.

Done exactly that on a Phil Read Replica I had

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version