Author Topic: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please  (Read 20996 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2022, 08:37:15 AM »
Ball cover is not dipped, it’s available as a spare, I fitted them to my chromed levers to make them look original.

I thought you was an expert on SOHC's. The original lever P/N 53190-286-670 came with a plastic ball cover  that had to be dipped on and the replacement cover 53180-286-000 is rubber. They could not do a replacement in plastic as, you would never be able to fit it  ;)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »
Trig…. Am I reading this wrong as the end (rubber?) cap does indeed appear to be a stand alone part #. (Ie #12, part no 53180-286-000)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 12:13:30 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
Folks - the Throttle Grip Adjust bolt…. part # 11 below.

At fully screwed in, mine makes no difference, suggesting to me a friction piece is missing between the shaft of the adjust bolt, and the twist grip cable guide.

Any clues as to its shape - I’ve now taken the internal measurements to fabricate one up, but before I start just wondering whether it’s a a simple ‘cap’ atop the bolt shaft.

Appreciate the dangers of such a mod going walkabout in the twist grip area at 70mph 🙄.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 12:14:08 PM by Lobo »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2022, 02:38:36 PM »
The sleeper ramp as I call it regularly falls out when the switch is removed from the bars, you don't tend to notice and if you find it lying loose on the garage floor days later you wonder what the hell it is. It's really a consequence of it being greased up by the factory that it falls out so easily. It's a weird shape, I have quite a few NOS lying around, genuine Honda not repros, I'll see if I can take a pic. In essence they are like a tank track with the middle dipping inward on the upper edge, not sure if it does that same on the bottom but probably, just off memory here.

As for the ball covering, yes they are rubber and they aren't exactly easy to fit either. Maybe the supplier originally dipped the lever ends but Honda found they were easily damaged and had replacements made in rubber as a result. Not economical to replace the entire lever for a small scratch in the lever end, hence the replacement. Your statement saying they were dipped was misleading as it inferred they couldn't really be replaced, which as we now know isn't exactly correct.

I've never claimed to be an expert on SOHCs Graham, the signature may say that but that's not something I've put on there, I dislike 750s for instance so I never really bothered to learn that much about them, 350 fours I know very little as they weren't really imported into the UK, 400 fours I don't mind, did quite a few back in the day but my favourite SOHC was and always will be the 500 four. I know a great deal about them as they interest me, hence knowing that the ball lever covering was available as a spare part. I'd appreciate the constant sniping of my comments you've been doing lately would stop, just because I started to sell camchains to members on here and in your words "was taking food out of my mouth" you've had a bag on ever since. I appreciate your not well and that's why I've not really said anything before but if you want to start slinging dirt that's fine but be prepared to get muddy as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 06:12:51 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2022, 03:06:03 PM »
Its part number 9 in that diagram

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2022, 09:14:50 PM »
Well blow me! Thanks Bryan, I’d have never guessed - looks nothing like I was expecting.

Cheers Ken - appreciated.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2022, 09:50:34 PM »
You still need a pic Lobo? Happy to oblige if you do. Shame your in Oz or I'd have sold you one. It needs to be a sort of spring metal, any other will distort I reckon.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2022, 11:14:24 PM »
The sleeper ramp as I call it regularly falls out when the switch is removed from the bars, you don't tend to notice and if you find it lying loose on the garage floor days later you wonder what the hell it is. It's really a consequence of it being greased up by the factory that it falls out so easily. It's a weird shape, I have quite a few NOS lying around, genuine Honda not repros, I'll see if I can take a pic. In essence they are like a tank track with the middle dipping inward on the upper edge, not sure if it does that same on the bottom but probably, just off memory here.

As for the ball covering, yes they are rubber and they aren't exactly easy to fit either. Maybe the supplier originally dipped the lever ends but Honda found they were easily damaged and had replacements made in rubber as a result. Not economical to replace the entire lever for a small scratch in the lever end, hence the replacement. Your statement saying they were dipped was misleading as it inferred they couldn't really be replaced, which as we now know isn't exactly correct.

I've never claimed to be an expert on SOHCs Graham, the signature may say that but that's not something I've put on there, I dislike 750s for instance so I never really bothered to learn that much about them, 350 fours I know very little as they weren't really imported into the UK, 400 fours I don't mind, did quite a few back in the day but my favourite SOHC was and always will be the 500 four. I know a great deal about them as they interest me, hence knowing that the ball lever covering was available as a spare part. I'd appreciate the constant sniping of my comments you've been doing lately would stop, just because I started to sell camchains to members on here and in your words "was taking food out of my mouth" you've had a bag on ever since. I appreciate your not well and that's why I've not really said anything before but if you want to start slinging dirt that's fine but be prepared to get muddy as well.

It was not a sniping at you. I was just putting you straight on your comment which was wrong information, that the ball cover was not dipped. When the original levers came with a plastic ball cover and not rubber on a original lever. I hate wrong information given out and i will correct any incorrect information given by any member  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2022, 11:19:07 PM »
Folks - the Throttle Grip Adjust bolt…. part # 11 below.

At fully screwed in, mine makes no difference, suggesting to me a friction piece is missing between the shaft of the adjust bolt, and the twist grip cable guide.

Any clues as to its shape - I’ve now taken the internal measurements to fabricate one up, but before I start just wondering whether it’s a a simple ‘cap’ atop the bolt shaft.

Appreciate the dangers of such a mod going walkabout in the twist grip area at 70mph 🙄.

I have a few of those floating about somewhere. You can still buy them as a Kit >>> https://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_144_70&products_id=753

If i find one i will post a picture for you up against a ruler  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2022, 12:12:37 AM »
I found two in the end. I have never fitted one to a bike but, when i sell a bike i always give them to the new owner. And the metal they are made from is magnetic  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
Thanks gents….. really appreciate the help.

Amazingly, once Bryan had pointed it out as part 9, I typed the Honda part # into eBay and one came up - here in Oz! Not cheap at £15 inc postage, but on balance I’d rather pay that rather than fabricating the part given the pain of where it resides in the handlebars.
Result.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:40:50 AM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2022, 11:40:20 AM »
One for the alchemists….. Ash!

1/4 of the Airbox to Carb manifolds has mummified around 25% of the belmouth, ie the portion within the ‘box. The rest of it, and it’s siblings, are brand new pliable - which they should be as only a couple of years old. Heat makes it pliable, but on cooling we’re back to square 1.

Asking for Wintergreen draws stares here - unheard of. I can find some on eBay… but at a price.  So… does this mix of WG + alcohol (Isopropyl) REALLY work… or should I just spend the $$$ on a new set. (not cheap ☹️)

Notably these manifolds are not actually rubber (?) - and more of a shiny neoprene (?)

Ta again.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »

It was not a sniping at you. I was just putting you straight on your comment which was wrong information, that the ball cover was not dipped. When the original levers came with a plastic ball cover and not rubber on a original lever. I hate wrong information given out and i will correct any incorrect information given by any member  ;)

Well given that his question regarded replacing the plastic shield so it matched the other lever and thus to me meant he was looking to restore his present levers to original whose answer was the correct one?  I'd say mine as he can easily buy the ball covering so getting the lever back to standard, much less hassle than trying to melt plastic onto it. That was why I posted they were available, I personally wouldn't even know where to start on melting plastic for that job as most plastic doesn't really lend itself to that sort of treatment in my experience. I suspect that originally the plastic used was brand new and not recycled so it could be used that way, same for the clear plastic, which tended to start to flake apart after a few years in the sun leaving you to pick the rest of it off so it didn't scratch your fingers.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2022, 12:29:13 PM »
Today’s problem is below - the badly pitting carbs lifters. Extremely light - they feel like plastic and yet are obviously a metal.

Q - can this be re-chrome plated ok… and if not, suggestions for a good looking finish.

Ta.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
Looks alloy to me. I'd spray it myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal