Author Topic: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please  (Read 21332 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 750 K2 Strip & Rebuild - help please
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »
On balance I'd agree with further inspection to asses where it's at.

Is the outside non adhesive "self almagamating" tape on these? Common on looms generally and doesn't make all the contents sticky.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2022, 05:48:24 AM »
Thanks Nige, for some reason I never thought of using self amalgamating tape. (loom using conventional electrical tape - ugh)

But, the good news is the loom’s been nicely put together with quality crimps and insulation - so my plan is to not bother stripping back further. Phew.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2022, 07:30:35 AM »
Good news if it's all good Simon, certainly makes it easier than diagnosis in situ after a reassemble  :)

As part of apprentice training we had six months in electronic section and making looms etc to aircraft standard complete with design protocols that would allow at least two repair when installed with designed in loops etc along with precise cable tying in old style.

Soldering exercise, they had us make a cube of rigid wire panels all soldered by hand to make the matrix and inspected for solder flow, fillet geometry etc. Then as final test the instructor placed the cube on the floor and stood on it (all sixteen stone of him ) a ritual cruel exposure in front of the training group, with mine one of three to survive the stress test. Still smug now  ;D ;D

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2022, 10:39:30 PM »
Pity you don’t live next door Nige; I’m sure I could find you plenty of work… later this year plan to rewire the Kombi with all the horrors that go along with that. (still undecided whether to modify the connectors / fuse box / terminals etc.).
With your amalgamation tape idea have now fully striped the K2 loom, washed it again, and will resheath it this week.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »
An interesting last Friday with Lindsay, who is rebuilding my K2 engine.

The first job was new cushs into the Primary drive sprocket component, which had to be disassembled due riveted. Within there are 12 cylindrical rubber cushs; at 50yo they were rock hard and if deformed slightly  (using a pliers) simply split and stayed that way. We stuck ‘em in a bag, and when I put it down on the bench there was a solid clunk like it was a bag of marbles.

Initially 2x new needle roller bearings were pressed into the shaft. Next the 12 new cushs went in to the lower sprocket, with upper sprocket then pushed in place. (needed a press to coax this - very tight). Then finally 6 new Allen screws, into the holes pre tapped and countersunk, using thread locker of course. All now good as new.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2022, 11:03:03 PM »
More progress on the engine rebuild…

The cases blasted, and despite being told 99% of the beads cleaned away, an amazing amount still came out. We thoroughly washed, (air line) blew all casings, dried them in an oven, and repeated the whole process. Fingers crossed, it really is aggressive stuff.

Next sprayed the cases with a HT Silver, before baking at 180C for an hour. Then the rebuild, which went quickly and with little fuss. I’d cleaned all parts thoroughly, and supplied all new bearings, seals, chains…. and re-zinc plated all fasteners. All gear dogs + mating faces undercut on both drive and overrun sides.

Head away this morn for valve work, barrels being rebored 0.5mm os.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:22:06 PM by Lobo »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »
All looking good but can't see any assembly lube or is it colourless?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
Yup, graphite oil on big ends and mains, otherwise squirts of oil in all bearings / moving bits as we progressed. I’ll agree; it looks drier than it is…

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2022, 02:07:19 PM »
The best bit, building them again after detailed preparation.

Always amazed at just how much research and development went into these engine, such nice details within those cases  :)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2022, 11:07:03 PM »
It really is a thing of beauty, and fiendishly compact. Cable oiler very cunning; though will be ‘turned off’.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2022, 11:10:19 PM »
Have some surplus VHT Silver paint, originally destined for the CB750 rebuild but not used. It boasts 1000+ C, and mentions exhaust systems etc. Q. How would it perform on non-hot components - specifically the carb on the old Kombi; which is out & in bits, so might as well get a bit of love…

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
The VHT paint seems pretty tough stuff to me, but that is after curing in the oven. So if you are confident to put whatever part in the oven for an hour or so, I would say it would be worth a shot, even if that part never saw 150 C again. Maybe it would be a bit soft if it wasn't cured, and obviously you are looking for petrol resistance if you are painting a carb.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2022, 12:10:59 PM »
Have some surplus VHT Silver paint, originally destined for the CB750 rebuild but not used. It boasts 1000+ C, and mentions exhaust systems etc. Q. How would it perform on non-hot components - specifically the carb on the old Kombi; which is out & in bits, so might as well get a bit of love…

Unsure of predicting an outcome because of zinc-ee base material. Painted carburettor are few and far between and maybe because of this element, unable to competently adhere to zinc prominent metals.  It's decomposition being a protective strategy with micro surface conversion to zinc oxide (I believe) giving this characteristic, a little like self anodizing in effect.

Doubt if it will cause any difficulty, but may not be longer term permanent because of above reason. The paint should survive but may not be attached sufficiently to the casting to avoid bits falling away.

For zinc surface consider it like painting/priming galvanised items, so maybe a competent base layer would assist here.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2022, 02:57:08 PM »
I've never had a problem getting paint to stick to carb bodies Nigel, the linkages though are another problem.

My current 500 restoration features sprayed carb bodies with petrol resistant lacquer on the spray paint.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2022, 09:25:35 AM »
Kombi carb body painted and baked @ 200C / 1 hr. Other bits plated. Annoyed at myself for not dressing the screws < plating; will do better next time 🙁

Thanks for the helpful comments…

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal