Author Topic: Stuck dowel pins in transmission  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck dowel pins in transmission
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »
Glad my misery getting mine out helped you  ;D ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck dowel pins in transmission
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 06:47:17 PM »
Alex just last week I had the exact same problem. They had been in there for well over 40 years and were rusty as well.

One came out pretty easy with a magnet, the others refused to budge even a little but I got them both out in the end within 10 minutes.

First drop some lube down there, not oil, WD or plus gas, I used some stuff called Deep Creep which is pretty good. Wait a few minutes for it to sink in. Now turn the case upside down so you've got gravity lending a hand, start to flick the selector back and too, you want them to hit against the casing so the shock is transmitted down the fork, after 30 seconds of this, check the pins and see if they have moved, one had and was sucked out by the magnet, one hadn't so back to flicking it again, couple of minutes later that fell out.

This was brilliant, thank you so much. Went ahead and did exactly this. Had to apply a little bit of heat as well, but knocked it around for a good 5 min. and all of a sudden it came out enough for me to remove the fork and push the pin out from the back instead :)

NOW this case is going to a professional to get that god forsaken seized screw from the other thread out of the casing :)

Good to read you have got those pesky lock pins out.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal