Author Topic: What's the next part where the price will go through the roof?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
What's the next part where the price will go through the roof?
« on: February 18, 2022, 08:33:47 PM »
The 750 points cover has gone from £50 a few months ago to around £250. That's clearly because demand has out stripped supply.

So what do you think is the next part to do the same? When I say the next I don't mean parts that already command really high prices, like tanks, seats, ready painted panels etc

I'm of the opinion that it could be either genuine points/condensers or shell bearings.

Any other candidates.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: What's the next part where the price will go through the roof?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 08:59:05 PM »
Yep, who needs the Government to drive classics of the road. The industry seems to be doing it for itself.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 10:53:59 PM »
I'm of the opinion that classics and really old antique motors will always be allowed on the road. If 99% of cars and new bikes are electric the amount they emit will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Imagine how many clubs etc there are, how many rallies and such are run which generate income, plus a lot of the very rice have massive collections of cars etc which are accumulating in value, all that would mean they become worthless in effect and that's one thing the very rich won't allow.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 07:48:41 AM »
on the flip side, i think DS has made a price mistake on the 750f2 brake splitter which is at £4.00. buy them now before he realises!!  they come with the top bolt fitted as per ds picture.  part no  45123-410-000
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 09:21:13 AM »
In response to Oddjob.
My concern is. When everything is electric. What would be the point of fuel stations?
Who would be willing to produce petrol, for such a niche market?
Would we have to go back to the beginning, and go to the Chemist,s,
For a gallon of "Motoring Spirit"? And at what price?
Sean.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
CB550 and CB500 for sale🤔

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 11:46:19 AM »
In response to Oddjob.
My concern is. When everything is electric. What would be the point of fuel stations?
Sean.

I'll be building a DIY refinery in the back garden. 🏍😁
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »
CB250K rear brake lever return spring £35
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 04:17:01 PM »
In response to Oddjob.
Sean.

It's a reasonable point but the pumps are already fitted, as are the tanks, it's cheaper to leave at least one in place that remove everything, it will end up like it is now, with a few electric points and loads of pumps but vice versa.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 05:05:28 PM »
I'd like to think you are right. But what has been put in, can be pulled back out. And houses etc built on the site.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 05:13:33 PM »
realistically though, the electrical infrastructure is years away, regardless of the governments aims to go electric by a certain deadline.  on top of that, people are only starting to realise that there will a charge for electric car use at some point, as the loss of car tax is huge and it has to come from somewhere. (i think we've well and truly hijacked this thread!)
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »
It's my thread and I don't mind, it's all hypothetical anyway, no one really knows which way it will go.

I think they'll convert old petrol stations to electric charging points with quick chargers etc. For 5 mins charge you can get around 30 miles even today so you spend 5 mins going to the toilet, shopping in the shop, it's good business, you've got your customers trapped for a certain amount of time.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 09:31:18 AM »
In response to Oddjob.
Sean.
There will be a great many millions of petrol/diesel vehicles on the road for many many years past the EV cut off due to silly high prices and lack of chargers. Not to mention the infrastructure upgrades required to allow every home to have a fast charger, they haven't even mentioned that yet. Without a fast charger your trickle charger will take about 16 hours to charge your car. Now if only there was some sort of liquid you could hold in a tank and refill when required. I may be on to something here.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »
Smart grid will address many infrastructure concerns. Housing stock average load demand at peak times is accounted for at around 2.5kW to 3kW per dwelling only. The system distributors experience an average daily demand of a little under 300w per dwelling….a load factor of around 10:1. Smart grid knows this and will only permit charging outside peak demand times, thus making better, continuous use of the existing infrastructure and thus increasing generation and utilisation efficiency. The bigger problem will be maintenance and an increase in mean time between failure periods, which is where investment will be required.

I’m afraid the die is cast and the world is going electric and fast….it has to.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 10:26:22 AM »
Pretty much means your average working man/woman is walking or on the bus. EV is not the answer for the masses.

So far there's just 1 public charger for every 35 vehicles on the road and that figure worsens every month. For home fast charging you require either 32 or 50 amps, if everyone charges their car on arriving home from work (and they will) that's going to melt the substation. It's okay putting chargers into new properties they can install the correct gear, but what about older properties, you would have to dig up every road in the nation to supply the required power. I am aware it's got to happen for the sake of global warming, but so far there's nothing but lip service to it. No, the cut off point will keep getting extended.

They will still be selling ICE vehicles until late 2020's and with the life of a vehicle around 20 years that's a long time before petrol and diesel are gone. And remember, the target for net zero was originally 2050 in line with all other countries in the world, only Boris's big ambition brought that down. I would suggest he needs to get on with it quickly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 10:34:50 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal