Author Topic: What's the next part where the price will go through the roof?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's the next part where the price will go through the roof?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2022, 11:03:00 PM »
I always wondered why someone didn't sue the Government for breach of Contract, they made a contract with everyone to pay pension at 65 or 60 if you were a woman, yet they broke that contract and no one said a thing.

I had to work an extra year because I missed the cutoff date by a few months, cost me another year of NI contributions and a loss of £176 a month in pension payments.

Also we were still in the EU when this happened, so they were supposed to conform to EU guidelines on pension age yet they ignored all that. They retire much earlier in France for instance.

Wendy had to work another 6 years her pension age moved from 60 to 66 as she was born in 1954.

What annoys me about this is it does not save the government any money, by forcing the older generation to work longer in key sectors you are making younger people unemployed, so what you save in pension payments you lose in unemployment benefits

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2022, 01:59:28 AM »
I always wondered why someone didn't sue the Government for breach of Contract, they made a contract with everyone to pay pension at 65 or 60 if you were a woman, yet they broke that contract and no one said a thing.

I had to work an extra year because I missed the cutoff date by a few months, cost me another year of NI contributions and a loss of £176 a month in pension payments.

Also we were still in the EU when this happened, so they were supposed to conform to EU guidelines on pension age yet they ignored all that. They retire much earlier in France for instance.

Wendy had to work another 6 years her pension age moved from 60 to 66 as she was born in 1954.

Ted, my missus is due to retire next year after working all her life except for maternity leave. How much is a wife's pension these days per month when they are fully stamped up. She doesn't know anyone to ask who's older than her who's got full contributions in.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2022, 06:54:00 AM »
£137.60 per week as long as you have 30 years of contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2022, 07:51:13 AM »
£137.60 per week as long as you have 30 years of contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's more complicated than that Steve. I had 41 years of contributions but 'cos I only paid half of my class 2 NIC's one year  :-[ when I was working solely for myself I get slightly less than the full amount  :(
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2022, 08:08:43 AM »
Government website will tell you. The new state pension is £179, which is much less than what you would have got under the old schem where all your SERPS and SP2 counted, typically resulting in say £1000 per month instead of the £750 you will now get. Basically the Government has picked your pockets and without protest.

The website can provide your full NI records and a contracted out discount calculation (COD) if it applies to you. They got mine wrong by the way and corrected it.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2022, 01:08:42 PM »

Ted, my missus is due to retire next year after working all her life except for maternity leave. How much is a wife's pension these days per month when they are fully stamped up. She doesn't know anyone to ask who's older than her who's got full contributions in.

Easy enough to do an accurate online Pensions Forecast based on her actual contibutions through the Gov website they do quite a few identity checks to give you the Gov Gatway Identity   FWIW my wifes OAP is £820.32 every four weeks so that's 13 payments a year £10,664.16 p.a. she did pay reduced contributions for a short period due to workplace scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 01:33:36 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2022, 01:56:11 PM »
Yes, the forecasting system is very good IMHO. Your missus must have some SERPS and SP2 contributions, Ted.

Did you come a conclusion on the colour scheme by the way?

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »
Yes, the forecasting system is very good IMHO. Your missus must have some SERPS and SP2 contributions, Ted.

Did you come a conclusion on the colour scheme by the way?

Yes she did pay some SERPS before it was scrapped we did a modest top up for one year - it was about £40.

I am keeping my existing colour scheme for the summer at least - if everything is fine with the rebuilt engine then I will try to run it it in during the summer  - then it's dependant on funds & enthusiasm.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2022, 07:03:15 PM »
If you have incomplete contributions in the last six years (I think), you can buy up these years.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
If any members here have a wife/husband whose only income is the state pension or is under pension age with no income or on a low income do not forget you can apply for the married persons allowance and transfer it to the higher earner.

HMRC will pay in arrears I think it's for 3 tax years including the current year.  Its an allowance of an additional £1260 a year tax free added to your tax code. (I got about £750 refunded by HMRC as I applied for it just before the new tax year - this was about 5 years ago.) Only benefits folk with one spouse on a low income or a partner who is paying the higher rate of income tax.

HMRC do not do this automatically - it was introduced to benifit married couples but you have to apply for the transfer. https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:23:05 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Anyone notice that DS is now charging £359 for a 750 points cover, it was £250 ish a few weeks ago, talk about taking the piss.

Offline Primus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2022, 12:18:14 PM »
If any members here have a wife/husband whose only income is the state pension or is under pension age with no income or on a low income do not forget you can apply for the married persons allowance and transfer it to the higher earner.

HMRC will pay in arrears I think it's for 3 tax years including the current year.  Its an allowance of an additional £1260 a year tax free added to your tax code. (I got about £750 refunded by HMRC as I applied for it just before the new tax year - this was about 5 years ago.) Only benefits folk with one spouse on a low income or a partner who is paying the higher rate of income tax.

HMRC do not do this automatically - it was introduced to benifit married couples but you have to apply for the transfer. https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

We have done that.  It near enough pays for my 4 bike insurance policies averaging £70 apiece.  Totally agree on the ever increasing cost of spares.

Paul
All ashore that's going ashore

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2022, 03:31:41 PM »
I'll bear that in mind. It's possible my missus may have to retire early as her health isn't great due to numerous operations in the past. She is suffering from severe pain in the hip area, I think she's going to need a replacement hip, which she's dreading. She's had an xray recently and they have asked her to ring someone they refer to as the Bone Doctor to discuss the result, that's not exactly good news to hear from her point of view.

Doesn't help that I keep going round the house shouting Hip Hip Replace  ;D ;D

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »
Don’t allow your missus to fret over hip replacement. It’s a high turn over, low risk procedure these days and the success rate is very high. She wil be fit from  Instant pain relief and a Hugh improvement in quality of life…embrace it.

I can’t stress highly enough that the key to success is preparing for the operation and rigidly following the post operative recovery advice, it plays a hugh part in the overall surgical success rate.

But I’m guessing you both already know that….

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
I agree with the previous post.

Wendy had her hip replacement 2 years ago when she was 65 yrs of age - after several years of poor treatment at Derby Royal by an arrogant Consultant who prescribed her Tramadol & injections he sent her away calling her a silly old woman. We made a complaint via the then local "Pals" route asking for a second opinion via them and our GP. The Consultant basically sat on her notes as we declined a review at Derby Royal wanting a second opinion from a different trust area. Meanwhile Wendy became addicted to the pain killers that the Consultant initially  prescribed she was struggling to work with the side effects - it took 18 months to recover from the drug addiction whilst under him.

Eventually (about 9 months later) we were referred to Nottingham City where we saw a super Consultant who confirmed that  not only did she need a hip replacement immediately but that the delay had led to a more complex operation due to the wear pattern. Wendy had endured hip pain of gradually increasing magnitude for over 5 years. The day after the operation that pain was gone - she could smile again just normal post operative pain of a different type & magnitude. Her stay was 5 or 6 nights they would not discharge her until she had past the "stair" test.

Wendy has had no regrets about having had the HIP replacement even though  she did have to have some extra injections by the Consultant on her first two follow up appointments.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal