Author Topic: Carb balancing the old fashioned way  (Read 1083 times)

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Carb balancing the old fashioned way
« on: February 21, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
I've been getting my Youtube fix lately enjoying Tyrell's classic workshop. One of Iain's specialities is balancing carbs for various owners using no more than a rubber hose, a screwdriver and years of experience, often on million pound plus 8 or 12 cylinder super-cars of old. Got me wondering if anyone has used the listening technique on Honda fours, as there is so much on using vacuum gauges on the site.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Carb balancing the old fashioned way
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:38:40 AM »
I used an alloy tube on all my multiple carbed cars I was taught this method by my late father who did his mechanic apprenticeship at RR/Bentley at Derby & Crewe  just before WW2.

Due to my treble  hearing loss with age (dual aids since my mid-forties) I am not sure it would work for me today but it is in my view as good as any gauges in the right hands. It does rely on good hearing and an appropriate sized tube - my tube was about 1.5" in diameter and 15" long.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:42:00 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oggers

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carb balancing the old fashioned way
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »
I used 4 milk bottles. Each was half full of food dyed water, piped up to each other and to the vac port on the carb inlet. The trick is to get all 4 levels the same - as then each carb is pulling the same vacuum. Worked very well and very accurate. Just ensure no water gets sucked in to the engine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal