SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

CB250RS info please

<< < (3/3)

Oggers:
Bought it.....pics when it lands from the courier.....

Dave - stand by for some questions over the weeks! Intention is to strip it fully, fit all the (new OEM) consumables that come with it, and fix whatever needs to be fixed. May fit SS fastenings just because I like the look of them.  I also want to delve into the engine. Cam chain and balancer chain would seem due for replacement, and I want to check out any potential for worn bearings.

Has a round headlight - which I prefer, and a Motad exhaust - which may or may not survive my aesthetically critical eye.     

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: Oggers on February 25, 2022, 04:57:13 PM ---Dave

Once again many thanks. All advice is useful I feel. I haven't acquired the bike just yet, but if I do, for sure I'll check it out as you suggest. My problem with a rebore is cost and who does it. Up here in the wilds of Aberdeenshire you may appreciate that such delicate machining is something of a rarity amongst the tractor fraternity and the lump hammer appoach taken by the oil boys' machinists is not particularly encouraging- I should know as I am one of them....I'll give it some thought when I look down the bore for those tell tale wear marks!

--- End quote ---

Two good engineering shops in Dundee, Agra Engineering or Engineering Resource. A lot of the local guys use them. 👍

Oggers:
Dragon

Appreciate that - thanks. I really don't want to spend the money though. Good bike though it is, a CB250RS is never going to  justify the outlay on things like a rebore and subsequent new piston/rings as you would never recover the costs. I appreciate that may not be the point for some folk, but at present it is for me. When I get it, I'll take a proper look inside and think some more, but PO seems to believe it runs well with no smoke or loss of power, so perhaps a philosophy of if it ain't broke then don't fix it may be in order here. Reading Dave's posts, cams and rockers would seem to fall into the same difficult to justify pot. I'll take the risk if they are not too bad, and definitely clean the mesh and replace the oil.  Replacing bearings may be worth it, as would most consumables and chains, but that would be about it for me at least. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version