SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Maybe a momentary lack of sanity???

(1/5) > >>

TrickyMicky:
Having owned my 400/4 for 30 odd years, I am considering giving it a new garage mate. Am looking at a GB250 Clubman, built for the Japanese market only, but on sale over here, and it's taken my fancy!  Looking closely at the pics, it would seem that the engine is rubber mounted, but I cannot make out any corresponding flexible mounts for the exhaust system. Anybody with any knowledge out there who is able to tell me that I've got it wrong please? Thanks, Mike.

K2-K6:
I've no experience with them but many of that era have the footrest hanger (aluminium casting) rubber mounted to the frame with quite a lot of flexibility in it. The exhausts usually mounted at the rear most point of this.

They're a cracking looking engine though and look like a twin cam exotic from racer's past with the sizeable head casting and extended finning.

Looks an interesting bike to own.

TrickyMicky:
A slightly belated update to my original comment, I threw caution to the wind and bought it!!!  My ever-loving BMW(!!!) owning son rented a van and helped me collect it from Lancashire. On the plus side, it's very compact, narrow, 108lbs lighter than the 400, and goes round corners a treat. Negative points,  after 34 years with the 400, I'd forgotten that singles can vibrate, it is slightly incontinent round the head gasket, clutch and gear change are not a touch on the 400, but it's and absolute hoot to ride!  Playing round the lanes of Suffolk and Norfolk I'm achieving approx. 80MPG. Changing the oil filter requires a course in the Black Arts of re-assembly.  Filter and front pads available from DSS, new front disc I obtained from Australia. Sourcing spares is a bit of a task, but, I thought y'know, at 75 years old if I start to try and cure its small niggles, it could be occupying the ramp until I'm too old too ride. So, I'm just going to ride it with a wad of kitchen roll in my pocket for my right boot, and an RAC card in my wallet, and have a stupid grin on my face. 
     PS. Is it legal for men in their mid 70's to ride at more than 45MPH?  Stay upright everyone. Mike.

Orcade-Ian:
That's a cracking looking bike - was it an Australian import? (🤡 Just saying - from the pic) Anyway a good mate (also in Lancashire) had one and it's still languishing in the back of the garage of the chap he sold it to - shame.  I have the 'cooking' version CBX 250RSE with the same motor which I ought to move on - too many others!  I was out last Saturday on the very windy Orkney Bike run and Kirkwall display on my R100 RT Classic and at 73, even with that wind certainly went over 45mph.  I think my 350/4 will be like your GB Clubman - last one to go when I give up.  Always said that when I give up motorcycling, I might buy a BMW - got one and not given up yet!

Ian

MCTID:
Unusual - and very tidy bike......glad you are enjoying it. A crusty old Neighbour of mine mentioned that he has a Honda 500 Single in his Garage....I think it's a GB500.....but I'm not 100%. Twin exhaust pipes coming out from the single cylinder (I think).

He's never going to finish it or ride it (he's an old git like me but even olderer and even crustier - if that's possible), so if any sohc Member fancies buying his bike please let me know and I'll ask him about selling it.

The bike is complete (I believe), but will need recommissioning as it's been standing for years. He used to run Sunrise Graphics....so some of you may already know him.....John Kenworthy......he may be a crusty but he's also 'canny' so don't mess him about.

I must point out that I have no personal or financial interest in this......it's just a shame for an old Honda not to be used, and we would all like to see another Honda put back on the road.

Let me know if you are interested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version