Author Topic: Maybe a momentary lack of sanity???  (Read 3219 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe a momentary lack of sanity???
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 12:04:53 AM »
Yes a complex little thing to get that radial valve arrangement Mike. Hopefully it'll all be up to scratch for you when weather improves.

In these situations this one cheers me up though

(Attachment Link)

Has top right chain already removed  :o
. Y'know, if you want to talk timing chests, maybe we should forget about chains???  Good job that this is a two stroke, otherwise it would be very complicated.

Offline martyn916

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 07:31:57 AM »
That’s the phasing case of a Napier Deltic. I was responsible for the testing of 60 odd of these during my time at a test house in Leyland. It was the marine version as fitted to the Hunt class minesweepers, very noisy (>128dBA) and at times very ‘twitchy’ for a 44 litre engine but there was no flywheel!  Beast of an engine but certainly interesting to test 😊

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 08:50:41 AM »
That’s the phasing case of a Napier Deltic. I was responsible for the testing of 60 odd of these during my time at a test house in Leyland. It was the marine version as fitted to the Hunt class minesweepers, very noisy (>128dBA) and at times very ‘twitchy’ for a 44 litre engine but there was no flywheel!  Beast of an engine but certainly interesting to test 😊
. A noisy beast it may have been, but Oh boy, what a noise!!!  Don't know about the acoustics of the marine versions, but as a child train spotting on the end of the platform at Kings Cross, to hear one of these locos, with both power units being given the works as it got a 12 car train on the move was pure music to our ears!  My proudest memory is that of one of the drivers allowing me into the cab, and letting me start one of the engines, the stuff of dreams.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 03:50:41 PM »
interesting properties of layout still being researched

https://youtu.be/UF5j1DvC954

Coupled with synthetic fuel  :)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 01:28:18 PM »
Y'know, one of my earlier posts contains a comment from me re. "Never going to buy another bike made after 1977". Hmmm! At the risk of eternal damnation I have to admit that after riding, and enjoying the little GB250, I was getting quite amenable to the feel and sound of a single. But I needed something with a bigger 'BANG'.  So, one week ago I took delivery of an XBR500 of 1986 vintage(?). It was the test ride that did it, I've never changed great at such low revs before, nice feel.  MOT'd and insured, just waiting for the start of April to tax it, and warmer and drier weather. So, the 400/4 still maintains its place as the grand old Duchess, smooth and comfortable, albeit a bit smelly!  The 250 for seeing if some of the 1970's mentality/stupidity is still there, and the XBR, well, 'cos I wanted one! Is that reasonable, or should I be reserving a place at the Twilight home for Terminally bewildered?  Stay safe everyone. Mike.
 PS Click on photo and it changes from Australian to British!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:32:35 PM by TrickyMicky »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »
Prefer the 250 TBH Mick, just seems to have more style.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 03:10:59 PM »
At least you got the faster colour!  I once has the Yam SR 500 and that was a hoot and cos when it was new it was altered by Paul Dunstall it was registered as a "Dunstall Yamaha" so the distinctly LOUD silencer? was legal

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 05:39:11 PM »
I've always liked the XBR. Slim bike though, which might count me out these days .....
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal