Author Topic: 'Pedal and Pop' nightmare .. anyone know of a moped project going cheap?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile

A young chap, who works with myself and Ben bought a Motobecane moped last year to restore for a charity run around the Peak District. He bought it off an Essex Geezer, who told him it was on the DVLA register but with no docs. So our man at work paid for a full RAC report on it and it came back clean and he bought it and duly applied for a V5C. He then restored it to a pretty decent standard but alas it turns out it was stolen months before he bought it and when he checked on a cheapo vehicle check site,  it did show up stolen, well before bought it. The police then seized it and have now told him it has been ‘disposed of’ so he’s naturally pretty gutted.

We told him to really lean on the R.A.C. , because it seems their system was at fault .. i.e. if a cheapo service picked up it was stolen, then why didn’t they? As yet he has heard nothing positive back from them.

So, if anyone knows of a moped/small bike project going cheap, then let myself or Ben Powell on here know.  Have told him to naturally pick a Honda this time.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pedal and Pop' nightmare .. anyone know of a moped project going cheap?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »
This is the one which was 'disposed' of by the police ..less guards

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
That RAC report would not have been cheap either.  Lordy poor that! When it was “disposed” of, would it be returned to owner?
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »
i'll keep an eye out.  not for sale but this is mine. fair bit of work needed! the petrol tank is see-thru

honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »
That RAC report would not have been cheap either.  Lordy poor that! When it was “disposed” of, would it be returned to owner?

Not sure ..they were very vague.

Anyone know the legal situation with the RAC report?  Does he (Rob) have grounds to claim for the lost bike. I think it total he is 'in' for around £700 including his resto costs.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 10:40:23 AM »
It would seem as if he may have recourse. Check out the list of things they say they check at the bottom of this page:

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/rac-car-data-check/?gclid=CjwKCAiAvOeQBhBkEiwAxutUVGHGrkzE0ZABzGti5GhDkci6lMgaP5RxqyL2kkaAFtQ5fPnF33-HJhoC6TsQAvD_BwE

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
It would seem as if he may have recourse. Check out the list of things they say they check at the bottom of this page:

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/rac-car-data-check/?gclid=CjwKCAiAvOeQBhBkEiwAxutUVGHGrkzE0ZABzGti5GhDkci6lMgaP5RxqyL2kkaAFtQ5fPnF33-HJhoC6TsQAvD_BwE

Yes .. cheers ... I extracted this:-

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 01:33:40 PM »
The recovered bike would belong to the insurance company who paid out and would be sold off by them

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
The recovered bike would belong to the insurance company who paid out and would be sold off by them

Not so sure it would have been insured Bryan .. from what I remember it had been off the road for a long time. Probably just reported as stolen as the real owner will have had the logbook.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »
While on the subject of mopeds! Here is mine for future project.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal