Author Topic: Center stand and spring bearings stuck  (Read 2074 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Center stand and spring bearings stuck
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 05:00:33 PM »
Finally got it off! Hacksawed them. Unfortunately, made a small cut to far into the actual swingarm on one of the bushings. Hoping it won't make a difference when I get a new one fitted.

I removed the pivot collar as well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bushings out (the ones that are meant to be replaced with bronze bushes afterwards). Does anyone have any good tips?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 08:06:47 PM »
Its the hacksaw again im afraid

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »
Its the hacksaw again im afraid

Seriously, so many things have been stuck on this bike. Is it always like this, taking it apart? Damn hacksaw…

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 10:36:09 PM »
It was the only way bback in the 70's as well, best bit is the steel collar wears more than the plastic bushes!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 11:01:37 PM »
If your swing arm bushes are like the 400 a weird plastic/nylon type material like mine were they should  came out quite easily  after some heat.

I left mine in when the arm was powder coated as I did not intend to change them. When I got my rear swing arm back from the powder coater they pulled out with my fingers - I suspect the heat from the powder coating process had broken the rust seal that was holding them in place.

Might be worth using a plumbers blow torch if you have one or an electric heat gun (paint stripping type) to just warm them up without melting them so they break free.

I fitted the brass type bushes  - put bushes  in the freezer for a couple of days then just tapped them in place with a small hammer then the last bit (5 mm or so) using threaded bar & washers.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 11:55:08 PM »
I use 3 double D shaped washers that will drop into the swingarm. Turn them once inside the tube. Then a big drift and they hammer right out.
The Rust Brothers Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB550 K0
1975 Honda CB400F Super Sport
1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1980 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
2006 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 08:38:24 PM »
This is the state of my rear swingarm collar. Will this be fit for more duty, or should I go for a needle bearing conversion and get another (as that seems to be the only way to actually get a hold of a new collar these days)?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 09:18:50 PM »
I’m not expert, but that looks fooked to me?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 10:01:00 PM »
That’s mullered I’m afraid, my needle bearing kit arrived today, lovely bit of kit, 2 needle rollers, 2 special end caps and a hard chromed spacing collar. For the price of a new Honda collar, pair of new bushes and possibly new end caps it’s a no brainer for me which to choose.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »
Thats the later collar which is more difficult to find but you can use the earlier collar if you use the long bolt with the greaser at each end

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 12:24:01 AM »
One thing to be aware of if considering the Tourmax needle roller conversion is that the 500 swinging arm bolt is essentially useless. The 500 bolt uses 2 grease nipples, one on either end, the idea was it pushed grease down the inside of the bolt and through holes about 2 inches down, this was then forced through holes in the collar and between the collar and the bush, this gave the lubricantion it needed but in practice it seemed to be a bit hit and miss.

The Tourmax collar hasn’t got any holes in it, so to get grease to the needle rollers would be a big problem. You need the grease to be external to the collar like the 550 has, the 550 has a central grease nipple located on the underside of the arm and it in essence fills the entire tube up with grease. This is ideal for the Tourmax system, but you can drill the 500 arm and fit a central grease nipple if your considering this kit. 

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 08:05:49 AM »
One thing to be aware of if considering the Tourmax needle roller conversion is that the 500 swinging arm bolt is essentially useless. The 500 bolt uses 2 grease nipples, one on either end, the idea was it pushed grease down the inside of the bolt and through holes about 2 inches down, this was then forced through holes in the collar and between the collar and the bush, this gave the lubricantion it needed but in practice it seemed to be a bit hit and miss.

The Tourmax collar hasn’t got any holes in it, so to get grease to the needle rollers would be a big problem. You need the grease to be external to the collar like the 550 has, the 550 has a central grease nipple located on the underside of the arm and it in essence fills the entire tube up with grease. This is ideal for the Tourmax system, but you can drill the 500 arm and fit a central grease nipple if your considering this kit.

I do have the central grease nipple on the underside of the arm, so a needle bearing conversion should pose no problem then :)

Is Tourmax the preferred brand for this conversion? When I look them up on eBay, there are plenty of options. Are there any preferred brands?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
Only ever seen Tourmax, which other makes are there. Post links if you can so I can compare.

Tourmax is a Japanese manufacturer so should be good quality. Mine certainly looks like it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal