SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Honda CB250RS pic and questions please

(1/4) > >>

Oggers:
Chaps

Managed to take a photo of my new steed. A 1980 CB250RS in very decent nick - well on the outside anyways. Hopefully an attachment at the end of the post.... Nice round headlamp - which I actually prefer, and I may even replace the square indicators with round to match....such heresy!

It is now all apart, engine out, head and barrel off, and now awaits my tender mercies to replace worn bits with the myriad of spares that came with it. Good news is that rockers, cam lobes and bore all look OK. Nothing too shocking I don't think. I'll just replace things as I go....A  few Qs if I may

I have a camshaft sprocket and a new cam chain. it would seem sensible to replace them along with the crankshaft sprocket. Any clues as to how to pull off and replace the latter woiuld be appreciated. Haynes manual is a bit vague.

I actually have new IN and EX rockers in my pile of bits. Given Dave's troubles with the locating pins I wonder if it is worth replacing them? The existing ones look fine.

I also have both new final drive sprockets, but no new final drive chain. Dave Silver I guess, anywhere else?

Whilst the engine is in bits, is there anything else worth checking or replacing? I'll look at the balancer chain.

I also have a new piston and rings. Is is worth replacing the existing with these?

Many thanks

Mark

Bryanj:
Crank sprocket is a big hydraulic press and i dont think you can buy it seperate from crank, chain yes cam sprocket only if visibly worn. Tensioner blade and cushion if worn.
If piston and rings are same size as bore you might as well fit them.balance chain yes everything else is an if damaged/worn scenario

Laverdaroo:
loving that, its deffo a survivor. Get some dosh thrown at it 8)

Laverda Dave:
That's a keeper for sure. You don't want to mess about with the crank socket unless you are rebuilding the crank and I would try to avoid that unless you really have to.
How many miles has the engine done (assuming the speedo is original). If the engine is apart I would fit the spares you have but not anything in the rocker box such as the rockers unless they are worn which your are not. Maybe put some photos up to give us a clue?
Did you run the engine before you took it out, any sign of smoke or burning oil? Is there any sign of oil leaking from the ends of the rocker shafts (common problem).
The paint looks really good.
Personally if it were mine I'd take the Motad off keep it as a spare and buy a new pattern exhaust that are available to keep the two silencers and give the bike a balanced look.

Laverda Dave:
I'd also have a look under those fork gaiters, a good idea to protect the stanchions but may also be hiding some rust as well!
I would also junk the rear rack unless you intend to fit a top box, just a shame imho to hide the duck tail and stripe 😊.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version