Author Topic: Can crankcase be split by removing top half while in frame?  (Read 780 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Can crankcase be split by removing top half while in frame?
« on: March 03, 2022, 12:46:25 PM »
Barrels,head etc all removed but is it possible to remove top half of crankcase without too much trouble , my back these days isn't as good as it was and no-one to help with lift if cases together. The case are all going to be stripped out and blasted anyway so if gears etc fall out of position it's not really an issue. 

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Can crankcase be split by removing top half while in frame?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
I just asked my brother to help with the lift out - if you are an only child just get a mate to help you. Putting the engine back in has options aside from a straight lift.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »
No it cant, you have to build in the top case

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »
Well I guessed as much, but you don't know if you don't ask. The silly question is the one you didn't ask!

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 09:46:27 PM »
All I do is lay the bike on its side with engine on some nice soft carpet or similar and undo the bolts and the frame lifts free.  Worked on most of my bikes.  Refit the engine the same way.  Too old to risk a dodgy back to lift the engine out of frame.
Does not work on an MT500.  But which sane person owns one anyway.
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline wildtapholer

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 10:19:18 PM »
I watched a video of how simple it was to remove and install the 400 engine laying the bike on it's side, after I'd laid it down on my own I had a DEVIL of a job as I had left the H/T coils on and hadn't removed the breather cover, it was a nightmare but got it out with a struggle. Didn't make the same mistake on rebuild and I didn't lay it down either, I wrapped Carling card around the frame so not the chip the paint, got a box the same height as frame and stood the engine on it and slide it across bit by bit on my own, with a bit of lifting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal