Author Topic: Was front forks originally painted?  (Read 1862 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Was front forks originally painted?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 06:31:52 PM »
This may help in appreciating what happens https://aerospacemetalsllc.com/what-is-aluminum-chromate-conversion-coating/ it effectively alters the surface of the material and can look like a paint finish. 

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 09:20:12 PM »
If you think the Honda castings are rough check out 80's Suzuki castings. They are so rough I had to use files to smooth them out after a brake fluid bath to remove the factory coating. Then I sanded them with 400grit. For the final pass I don't sand them with linear strokes, only around the circumference. It gives a nice satin finish. Here's before and after.
The Rust Brothers Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB550 K0
1975 Honda CB400F Super Sport
1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1980 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
2006 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 09:32:35 PM »
If you think the Honda castings are rough check out 80's Suzuki castings. They are so rough I had to use files to smooth them out after a brake fluid bath to remove the factory coating. Then I sanded them with 400grit. For the final pass I don't sand them with linear strokes, only around the circumference. It gives a nice satin finish. Here's before and after.

Nice job!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 10:58:22 PM »
Interesting K2 but reading that makes me more certain it's not Chromate conversion, firstly it says there is a yellow/green iridescent tinge to it, that's not present. Secondly it also states the colour and uniformity will vary from one alloy to another, that means that for all castings the alloy must be exactly the same and that's not really possible as it can vary from batch to batch even if only slightly, in which case you'd get different results and that's not the case.

The NOS fork slider I got today was off a 750K2-K4 and you can clearly see it's been painted, some parts look polished and some are really rough like the Suzuki slider, on the rough parts you can see how the paint has pooled in the ripples in the casting, the bottom axle clamp (also NOS) is painted and not even well, it's orange peeled it's that thick. Also according to the article it doesn't have any measurable buildup so why the orange peel?

I still don't see why you can't just sand a casing etc and see for yourself, then make up your own mind. If you can think of anything besides a layer of paint after I'd be pleased to hear it as that's what it looks like to me. Go on, prove me wrong. It won't be the first time, or the last  ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 11:09:25 PM »
Here you go Ken ...clear chromate conversion coating ... like Vic World uses

I can't just sand a fork leg  'cos  all of my forks here I stripped and polished years ago. I think I have some 1969 forks off a 5k mile  CB250SS at my stash though .. so next time I go there I will dig 'em out. From memory the lacquer was still on and in pretty good nick.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:11:08 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2022, 02:55:00 AM »
Perhaps Vic Worlds does use the coating, doesn’t mean Honda did though Ash. Maybe they couldn’t find the exact colour that Honda used and that gave a close enough result.

I can’t see that word Hexavalent Chromium without thinking of Erin Brockovich

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2022, 09:16:07 AM »
Perhaps Vic Worlds does use the coating, doesn’t mean Honda did though Ash. Maybe they couldn’t find the exact colour that Honda used and that gave a close enough result.

I can’t see that word Hexavalent Chromium without thinking of Erin Brockovich

It's generally accepted, particularly in the aerospace industry that normal paint/lacquer will not adhere reliably to aluminium because of the oxide layer that immediately forms on bare metal. Honda were pretty advanced and probably used a lot of ideas from other industries. If you sand back a CB250K frame you will not find any evidence of a solvent based  primer but a definite light grey coating which I guess may have been some form of phosphate etching or other metal prep chemical process.

If Honda basically 'painted in' the pits in the alloy, why is everyone on these forums sanding the hell out the original finish to get a uniform satin surface like the showroom finish (or highly polished ..yuk). why not just spray the pitted alloy  with a can of Duplicolor DE1615, flatting off and then lacquering? 

I think hexavalent chromium chemicals are pretty much outlawed everywhere now .. although I suspect and know of at least one chromer who stockpiled enough of the stuff for 'special jobs' to see him into his retirement.   But back in the day Honda or their sub-contractors, would have readily used the stuff along with cyanide in the zinc plating and asbestos in the gaskets, brake linings etc.

Maybe I have been lucky Ken and had fork bottoms that were decent enough, with no surface imperfections, that they were never painted to hide the pits but I am still of the belief that non of them had any silver paint applied (talking Honda CB250k's and Honda 4's here  .... Most of my 60's bikes were definitely painted finish when they left the factory, apart from my 175 sloper.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
I can't see that it's painted either. The grey as far as I'm aware comes from the chromate process inhibiting the natural corrosion from taking place within the outer layer of the casting.
It doesn't last for ever though effectively being sacrificial in protecting the bulk of the casting, it ultimately turns grey and prevents propagation through further into the material if left alone.
If significantly breached, the casting then starts to go furry as most raw aluminium does if not ultimately protected.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
Well whatever it is it's something between the lacquer and the alloy. That's essentially my point, all those people who kept saying it's polished alloy just lacquered are incorrect, it's not and never has been.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal