Author Topic: Anyone tried the Michelin Road Classic tyres?  (Read 786 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Anyone tried the Michelin Road Classic tyres?
« on: March 17, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »
Looking for a set of tyres for the 500 and I've got a thing about Michelin Tyres at the moment, just love them, spotted they do these Road Classic tyres and they look the part, also do them in 100/90x19 which is my preferred tyre for the front Lester.
Anyone got them fitted and what are they like if you have please.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:10:01 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried the Michelin Road Classic tyres?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »
As a result of your question Ken I checked my tyres as I had forgotten what make they are - they are both Dunlop K82's on a bike as yet unridden so I am of no help.

On closer inspection I noticed that they are marked for rotation depending if they are fitted to the front or rear wheel.

My rear tyre shows the correct rotation for fitting to the rear wheel but my front tyre is fitted for rear wheel rotation.
Does this matter ? 

I have never encountered this before the treads do not look directional can't figure out how the design would be such that it was okay fitted one way round at the front but nor if at the rear.

If it's wrong then Central Wheel Components have slipped up and I need to get it sorted.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 08:20:48 PM »
The reason was originally that the tread was wrapped around the complete carcass a little like a swiss roll, with an overlap to complete. Orientation was to not present the overlap under torque to the road surface and so not peel it back.

More recently, they've been made with a continuous band to form the tread as I understand it making it no risk in either direction. How you'd tell I don't know, but if it states a direction on it then should be fitted that way. Shouldn't pass mot test fitted wrong either as I understand it.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:42:11 PM »
I've e-mailed Central Tyres in the hope of them sorting it out.
It's a pain as I should have noticed it before I fitted the wheel.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 10:30:20 PM »
Not on my Honda.... but I have tried Michelin Road Classics as I have been a long time user of the Pilot Roads since the original...right through to the Road 5. I gave them a go, as I have been happy with the brand in general.

It replaced an old Dunlop, and has been doing a fine job all through the last year. Grip seems OK, and it generally just does the job with no drama. Wearing OK too. When the 750 is ready for the road, it will probably get a set of the same, as there is a shortage of modern rubber in the right sizes.

Also...as already said...if the manufacturer has given it a rotational direction....I would not want it fitted the 'wrong' way. It may not be a serious risk, but when it comes to tyres 'may not' is not something I would feel happy with. It would just gnaw at me....knowing....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 04:48:33 PM »
I've e-mailed Central Tyres in the hope of them sorting it out.
It's a pain as I should have noticed it before I fitted the wheel.
I had a very appogetic phone call from the MD of Central Wheels - he was mortified. Arrangements are in hand for the front wheel to be collected so the tyre can be removed & fitted the right way and couriered back to me.

I'm happy that they will sort it at no cost to me.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »
Not on my Honda.... but I have tried Michelin Road Classics as I have been a long time user of the Pilot Roads since the original...right through to the Road 5. I gave them a go, as I have been happy with the brand in general.

It replaced an old Dunlop, and has been doing a fine job all through the last year. Grip seems OK, and it generally just does the job with no drama. Wearing OK too. When the 750 is ready for the road, it will probably get a set of the same, as there is a shortage of modern rubber in the right sizes.

Also...as already said...if the manufacturer has given it a rotational direction....I would not want it fitted the 'wrong' way. It may not be a serious risk, but when it comes to tyres 'may not' is not something I would feel happy with. It would just gnaw at me....knowing....

Same here, I was always a bridgestone chap but after being given a set of Pilot Road's by the rep at work I thought they were great, I'm on the 5's now which is my 10th set of these now. It's all the VFR has had on it for years and although the last 4's were good, the 5's are brilliant in the dry, warming up noticibly in a really short distance and in the wet they are incredible. Some privateer boys use them for wets in club racing theyre that good!!
If the Classics have a Michelin sticker on, they'll be good ken. Besides, if you dont get one with them its not dear for a new set of something else........just a bit of faff I guess.

It is an MOT failure if teh tyres on against rotation. had loads through the shop like that in Newbury when I was there.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal