SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Balancer chain

(1/5) > >>

Oggers:
Right - I fear I may rock the boat here! I have ordered a new DID balancer (kart) chain and a split link for it. I fully realize that I perhaps ought to use a rivet link, but several problems.

I am not confident or practiced enough to mushroom out a rivet link correctly.
I don't have the right tool.
No-one around here can seemingly do it for me - despite several attempts with the local bike shops.

So, am I asking for trouble using a split link in lieu of a rivet link?

My thinking

Not much torque on a balancer chain - it's not like a drive chain.
Relatively small chain.
Cam chains operate in a similar way, and I have seen cam chains with split links.

Thoughts welcome as ever.

Laverdaroo:
Ask Oddjob, he might do it for you he's 'The Don' at all things chain related,
drop him a pm, he's on here.

Laverda Dave:
Hmm, a big single and in particular the CB250RS is well known for knocking out drive chains due to the firing pulses of these bikes. Personally I wouldn't fit a split link and especially considering the balance chain is pretty lightweight compared to the final drive chain.

Oggers:
Dave

The balancer chain being pretty light is surely an advantage? Drive chains - final drive to wheel? - even my big Suzuki with a chain the size of the Titanic slip chains has a split link.  Surely the balancer chain would not be under undue pulsation/torque ripple, as it is er.. balanced? ....but yes, I would prefer a rivet link, but just cannot find anyone to do it - Mr Oddjob may be an option for sure. Cheers for that.....

Oddjob:
What size is the chain? eg 219. Look on the side plates, it's sometimes on there.

Does it need to be split to fit or can it be rivetted and fitted after?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version