Author Topic: Carb Dust Boots  (Read 811 times)

Offline Saesneg Shaun

• View Profile
Carb Dust Boots
« on: March 24, 2022, 02:41:06 PM »
Hi All,

I bought 4 carb dust boots from DSS to replace my missing & split ones but I can't see how they go on.

Their made of really thin rubber that looks like it tears easily and the hole is way too small to fit over the carb end.
It looks like I have to dismantle the whole carb linkage and re-sync everything, correct?

Given how expensive they are I would rather not mess them up!

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Dust Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 04:16:40 PM »
i dont know either, but good forum name dude!
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »
I fitted some to my CB750 a few years ago and, as the carburettors were already off for reconditioning it was an easy job. I don't think that they could be fitted without removal from the lifting bar assembly though.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 05:42:29 PM »
Apply a little rubber grease. Then they just slide on.
They are stronger than they look.
Sean.

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 06:33:00 PM »
Hi All,

I bought 4 carb dust boots from DSS to replace my missing & split ones but I can't see how they go on.

Their made of really thin rubber that looks like it tears easily and the hole is way too small to fit over the carb end.
It looks like I have to dismantle the whole carb linkage and re-sync everything, correct?

Given how expensive they are I would rather not mess them up!

They do not go over the carb ends but should slip into the grove on the circular disc that is part of the throttle body lifting mechanism.

You just have to remove each carb from the manifold to separate the forked end of the lifting arm slide the boot over the forked end and then reattached the carb to the manifold and you should not have disturbed any settings that require re-syncing. Getting the boot into the groove and keeping it there can be a bit of a pain though.

See attached
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 06:51:09 PM by sprinta »

Offline Saesneg Shaun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 08:12:11 PM »
OK thanks guys. I'll man up and have another go with the stupidly expensive rubber bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal